Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Am not sure if this is an Apple question or Comcast (I have

Customer Question

Am not sure if this is an Apple question or Comcast (I have bundled phone/Internet/cable service) -- all 3 and/or ME mixed into the mess..

My FAX, connected through my home/landline, has suddenly stopped working..cannot send or receive faxes.

Am hoping to trouble-shoot it with you and hopefully get it sorted out..
Thanks --

Johanna
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Can you make calls on the phone line? Please unplug the Fax from power for a few minutes then try it again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for getting back -- and Yes.. can both make outgoing calls and receive incoming

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is an HP 3055 3 in 1 -- about two years old..had been functioning fine..

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Please unplug the Fax from power for a few minutes then try it again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You are asking me to unplug it a third time? -- or is that the original request?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No you did not say whether you did it or not. Ok is the Comcast an all in one box for phone/internet/tv?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for phone and internet only (an ARRIS box)

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK if this same Comcast box has worked before unplug it from power for a few minutes too. Check all the cables. Then try again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike --

I'm going to have to break off for about an hour unfortunately..as I have a business emergency situation I must attend to..how shall I get back to you? Many thanks. Johanna

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike -- am back..where do we go now?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Did you do all that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i.e. unplug the power supply on the internet/phone box, replug and then retry the fax? .... Yes..and still no fax..

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What happens do you hear it dialing?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I just realized that is not a regular phone line but digital phone line. Not all fax machines are compatible with it. Though your's is not specifically listed I suggest you call them first, if they say it is compatible we can continue if not that is your Answer. Let me know.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/phone/faxing-with-xfinity

____
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
P.S. Not sure what you use a fax machine for but I have not used one in years, since you can just use a service to send and receive through your email or website for a very small fee. See here:

http://www.maxemail.com

https://m.efax.com/myaccount/home