Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I am TRYING to install MacBulk Mailer on my Macbook Pro. I

Customer Question

I am TRYING to install MacBulk Mailer on my Macbook Pro. I understand ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how to do the settings or get the info I need to do them! SOOOO, I have several questions! I hope that is okay!!???

1. I have a hotmail account, a yahoo account and a gmail account. Is one of these better to use for large mail outs (around 800 addresses) than another?

2. Then, under a heading called "SMTP server access", it asks for my SMTP host. I found that info on my computer, but I don't know if they want the Incoming or Outgoing Mail Server. And with that info, they want to know if it is SSL v2, SSL v2/3, SSL v3, TLS v1, or TLS v1 Exp. What the heck is THAT?

3. And lastly, under "Authentication", they are asking if it is POP, APOP, or ESMTP. My Hotmail says it is POP3, my Yahoo and Google are IMAP. At least, that is the info I found about each account. But NONE of those options are listed!

Can you PLEEEZE help me??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue - firstly there may always be issues with mass mail outs from hotmail/yahoo/gmail addresses as they are the most likely to be flagged as spam

Steve Herrod :

would any attachments be required?

Steve Herrod :

in terms of setup, SMTP is the outgoing mail server which will be different for each provider

Steve Herrod :

smtp.gmail.com is the gmail one for example

Steve Herrod :

and SSL v2/v3 should be the required setting

Steve Herrod :

Authentication on this would be ESMTP based on a quick test

Steve Herrod :

but let me know when you are available and we can look at this in more detail

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

The reason there must be an attachment is because I am sending out newsletters to churches and supporters. My husband and I are missionaries and most of our supporting churches printout and post the missionary letters so their congregations can read them. I send them out as a PDF file.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - were you able to try with the suggested SSL and Authentication settings for a gmail account and see if that allows the mail to be sent?

Customer:

I tried the settings you gave me, but nothing came through on the Test Mode. By the way, I'm sorry that my communication is so sketchy, but we are traveling and I don't always have internet.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - that is no problem, whenever is convenient for you

Steve Herrod :

Can you verify the settings there for Gmail and check if the test still fails?

Customer:

Sure. Give me a moment.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

Im sorry. Exactly what settings are you wanting to know about and where do I find that info? Sorry I'm so dumb with these things!

Steve Herrod :

not at all!

Steve Herrod :

if you click the link it takes you to a google page confirming all the required settings

Steve Herrod :

just wanted to double check those were entered in MacBulk Mailer correctly as well

Customer:

Ok. Let me see what I can do.

Steve Herrod :

sure

Customer:

Ok. POP is enabled and IMAP is enabled. There is a another line below that info that says:

Customer:

Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird, iPhone)
Configuration instructions

Customer:

Is that something I need to do?

Steve Herrod :

no, not for the MacBulk Mailer

Steve Herrod :

would you like to see if someone can connect up to your machine and help you to configure it that way?

Customer:

ok. Is that the info you needed? Sure! That would be great!

Steve Herrod :

ok - wish I could do it but only a few people have been given the JustAnswer tool to do this

Steve Herrod :

I will opt out so that they can respond to you as soon as possible

Customer:

I do so appreciate you trying and your patience! Thank you!

Steve Herrod :

you are welcome

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate your response. I can probably stay here till around 6:30.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So sorry. Can't wait any longer. I really have to get home. We can try again tomorrow. Thanks anyway.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you use a bulk email provider othewise you can get your email address blacklisted. I recomend Constant Contact, they have very easy to use interface:

http://www.constantcontact.com/main.jsp
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then is it possible to get a refund for what I paid for the MacBulk Mailer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thank you very much for responding. Hopefully this THIRD bulk mailer will be more successful! Have a good day!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok good luck.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. I am still here if you have any problems or questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. That's good to know.

=<3 )

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Just bookmark this page you can come back whether you Accept and rate at Ok or higher or not. Thanks.