David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

How can I integrate my address book into my Google Chrome e-mail

Customer Question

How can I integrate my address book into my Google Chrome e-mail system
Category: Mac
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Google chrome is a web browser, it is not an email system. Do you mean you would like to import an address book into Gmail?

Can you please tell me where your current address book is stored? Is it in another email account or maybe in a program like outlook?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, GC is a web browser. I have just started using it for my e-mails. I have been using Verizon, and the Entourage system for e-mails, and I have an Address Book that automatically adds the e-mail address when I put a first name into a composed e-mail. The AB is an icon in my finder.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok it sounds like you a MAC. I do not work on those so let me opt/out and get you a mac expert.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure it's a MAC issue, but if you're not comfortable answering because I have a MAC, that's fine, just get me another expert.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

To add contacts to your webmail, you must first export from Address Book.

The format you choose to export depends on where you would like to import them online.

I understand you use Google Chrome, but I need to know if you are using GMail or Hotmail or Yahoo! etc.

Please get back to me with that info. Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm using Verizon. My address is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I use Verizon. My address is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. If there's another name such as GMail or Yahoo involved, I'm not aware of it. Please answer more quickly. This has tied up my iMAC for more than 2 hours.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, was just having some food.

The page you need is here:
http://webmail.verizon.net/signin/ImportContacts.jsp

The format required is CSV, which Address Book does not export to, but you can use this popular free tool:
http://www.antoniolore.net/ab2csv.php

Let me know if you have any questions.

Yours sincerely,
David.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand your rating of Poor Service, what did I do wrong?

Did you try those steps?

You don't need to tie up your Mac with this issue the entire time.

Those are the steps to completing what you require, if there is something wrong with them I'd like the chance to understand, and fix it.

Please let me know what happened so I can have a chance to fix your issue.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You suggested two methods. The first one requires I start with either Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook or Windows Mail, then go to File Export.... I don't have any of these and can't find Export on my File in either Verizon Mail or Chrome. The second one, Antonio Lore, is nothing but a one-page ad showing what can be done to move an Address Book. It has no "HOW TO" instructions, no buttons to click on and nothing that tells me how to make it happen. I'm no dunce, but I feel like one, having paid $43 to spend most of a day frustrated by computer speak.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but you don't pay unless you are 100% satisfied. It's up to me to fix the issue for you, and. apologize if there was a communication breakdown.

As there has been I will need a bit more info. In your first post your question was how to integrate address book. This appears to mean Address Book, the Mac OS X application.

This is not the case I know now, but I don't know where you store your contacts, which I need to know before I can give the right steps.

Please let me know.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Address Book is in my hard drive, and on my finder as an alias.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Therefore it must be the Address Book included in Mac OS X.

Then you need to download this:
http://www.antoniolore.net/ab2csv.php

Please let me know if you have a problem opening that application.

Sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I opened antoniolore and installed ab2csv.

what does csv mean?

What's the next step? When I'm in Google Chrome and compose an email, how do I access the Address Book to obtain a contact's address? Please don't assume I am a pro. I need simplified help.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

CSV is the common format you can use to transfer your contacts.

Once you have the CSV of your Address Book, you are half done.

Then in your email account, you import the CSV file.

Please ask me anything.

Sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Did the AB2CSV software output a file?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

When you downloaded AB2CSV, did you have any trouble launching or using it?

Please let me know, I will be online all day.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

I'm sorry to be so troublesome, but I'm 86, and though I'm an engineer and have been using my iMAC for years, I'm somewhat forgetful.

I have apparently got AB2CSV. I once saw it on my finder icons, but it isn't there now and I'm not sure how to get it back and launch it. I can get to the page HOW TO EXPORT AB2CSV, but that only tells what to do once AB2CSV is launched.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's all OK, we can take this step by step to make sure it is done right.

Of you have it already, it will be in the Applications folder.

Click the Finder, then click the Go menu at the top. Click Applications.

The list is alphabetical, so AB2CSV should be close to the top.

If it is not there, let me know.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I can still help you any time you want, just let me know.

Sincerely,
David.