Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I continue to receive the following error when attempting to

Customer Question

I continue to receive the following error when attempting to open Aperture on my Mac...

"The application Aperture can't be opened. - 1712"

How might I repair or fix this error?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is Ashik and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

The error 1712 is a Mac OS X related error. This usually happens when the process didn't close properly last time or the process times out or the process is already running.

Goto Applications > Utilities folder and Activity Monitor. Select My Processes from

Find and select the Aperture application in there and click the Red Force Quit button. Then open Disk Utility from Applications > Utilities folder.

Select your hard disk in there, click Verify Disk, then Repair Disk. Then Repair Permission.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Verify Disk worked and the Repair Permission successfully executed. I attempted to open Aperture and received the following message:

"Restore Windows: The application "Aperture" was forced to quit while trying to restore its windows. Do you want to try to restore its windows again?"

The choices are: "Don't Restore Windows" or "Restore Windows"

What do you recommend?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Don't Restore Windows
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I selected Don't Restore Windows...

The rainbow wheel continues to spin and it appears that Aperture is still not opening??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The activity monitor of my processes shows Aperture not responding

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Force Quit Aperture again, restart your Mac and then open it. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I Force Quit Aperture, restarted Mac, and attempted to open Aperture again... same result.... Aperture shows not responding in Activity Monitor

FYI, all other applications seem to be running / operating fine

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MAC OS X

Version 10.7.5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FYI, Aperture

Version 2.1.4

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

In your Mac, on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the file com.apple.Aperture.plist file

Then go to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Aperture. Move the contents of this folder to your Desktop

Then hold down Command and Option key and open Aperture. Then rebuild your Aperture Library

Let me know if that didn't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did everything you suggested... all of the queries I mentioned are now gone / not showing in the project library toolbar / menu on the left...

However, the activity monitor still show Aperture "not responding" and the rainbow circle continues to spin infinitely

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the Aperture application is corrupted. Can you trash the Aperture from Applications folder and reinstall it ?

PS : Your Aperture Library is safe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will attempt that, but will need to step away for a while... will reply when I complete the trash / reinstall process...

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'm also signing off. Its very late in here, almost 2:00 AM (IST) and need to get some sleep. Just reply back here if that didn't work and I will get back to you ASAP.

Have a great day and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rather than reinstall the Aperture version 2.1.4, does it makes sense to upgrade to the most recent version?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Upgrading is a good idea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I trashed Aperture from the Applications folder and successfully reinstalled from the original CD...

I opened Aperture and it's asking again...

What do you recommend this time?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Don't Restore Windows
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the activity monitor still shows Aperture "not responding" and the rainbow circle continues to spin infinitely

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hold down Option key on your Keyboard and open Aperture. From the resulting window, select Create New Library and create a new library. Does Aperture opens a blank library ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that worked! How do I import / replicate my previous library?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That means the problem is not with your Aperture application. Your old library is corrupted. Goto Pictures folder and you can find your Aperture Library there. Right Click (or Control + Click) on it and select Show Package Contents. Then drag the Originals folder from there to the Aperture icon to the dock. Unfortunately, this will not import any albums, but only the pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Stepping away for dinner... will follow-up... thanks!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok..Take Care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tens of thousands of photos and prefer not to have to reorganize them into folders again....

Rather than rebuild my library, is another course of action to enter Time Machine back-up and go to the date when the power went out / potentially corrupted the library?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Askik- Are you still there? Were you able to receive my previous question regarding options to rebuilding my library?

Thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Sorry for the delay..Apologies. Had to sign out since it was very late in here. Do you have Time Machine backups setup ?