Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cannot leave Snow Leopard (10.6.8) due to the use of non-updated

Customer Question

I cannot leave Snow Leopard (10.6.8) due to the use of non-updated professional softwares. One of my issues is that I have not succeeded in making my Logitech webcam (9000 Pro) work with Skype. Any ideas? Macam did not succeed either (or did not follow the steps precisely enough?)
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Have you tried the web cam in applications other than Skype, and if so what happens there?

Have you checked in System Information for recognition of the web cam?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

iMovie does not see the camera. My Logitech software, made for the C910, sees the 9000 Pro. Skype only detects an unknown USB audio device. For video, no camera is detected. Do you have any other Mac software I am supposed to have on which I could test the image?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Open Photobooth in Applications, does it recognize the camera?

Is it connected directly by USB?

Do you have FaceTime installed?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Photoboot does not see it. I do not have FaceTime. Macam also does not see the 9000 Pro. Yes, it is directly connected by USB to one of the rear connectors.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The Logitech 9000 uses the Mac OS X drivers, and the C910 doesn'tappear in the Macam supported list:
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php

Connect just the 9000, and open About This Mac in the Apple menu.

Then click More information, and check under USB for recognition of the camera.

Let me know if there are any problems.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does not show directly. But when I click under «High Speed USB» (sorry of terms are not exact, my system is in French), on Various Devices, I read Product 0x0809 and supplier: 0x046d (Logitech Inc.), version 0.09

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the iMessage application? Do you have FaceTime?

Check in Preferences of those Apps, you should see an Audio/Video tab.

Also in iMovie, click the Camera button, and i. the new window check if the web cam can be selected from the drop down list in the bottom left.

Let me know what happens.

Yours sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have iMessage or Face Time (I migrated from the Windows environment, and all my friends are still on Windows). In iMovie, my Logitech QuickCam 9000 Pro is still not detected.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The Logitech C910 is on the Apple Store, and is compatible.

Can you disconnect any USB devices you can, connect the C910, and use the included disc to install Logitech webcam software with Logitech Vid HD.

Let me know how you get on.

Yours sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I changed the camera for the C910. Yes, Apple Store says it is compatible (Logitech says so, including for the 9000 Pro).
I installed and even updated the software: It crashes continuously. I am currently trying to remove all of the Logitech application, and restart. Again...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I uninstalled all Logitech softwares. The C910 is now detected in iChat and PhotoBooth. I updated Skype to its latest version (6.0.0.2946) The camera is still seen as a generic USB device, and there is no usable video (all unsynchronized zebra patterns, no understandable image).

One user suggests copying the camera information to the user library, but I could not find the information on which files should be copied.

So far, it is all things I have tried. And I need to quit soon for work (another 10 usable minutes, until 2PM, Eastern time)

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi.

Sorry if I missed you. I can look into moving camera software, but generally the kernel extensions only work at all if they are system wide.

first make sure that you have the latest Skype.
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/

Let me now if this doesn't help, and also the link to the suggestions you saw, maybe there is something useful in it.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I installed the latest version on Friday, the same you sent a link for. I went back today (Sunday) to the Logitech support page, and I am trying to downlad and install, again, the Logitech sotware version lws220. When it tries (automatically) to open, it crashes again. For the kernel, I receive this part of the error message: Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000020414a59
Back to the same problem: the Logitech does not seem to want to install correctly. So Skype can forget it!

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Restart in Safe Mode, holding Shift at start up until the spinning gear.

Then try install the Logitech software again.

Let me know if it gives a different error.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried in safe mode. First the Logitech software brought me more menus. But no more success in detection. I tried to reinstall Skype also in safe mode. Unfortunately, I still receive unsynchronized video noise. Some poeple talk about the last "good" version of Skype as being the 2.8. I am trying to find it.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I needed to go to sleep past night, sorry for not getting back to you.

If you think an older version of Skype (recently purchased by Micosoft) will help, you should try here:
http://mac.oldapps.com/skype.php

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also need to sleep and work. And off the computer most of the week-end. I had no more success with Skype 2.8. Deception, again...

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It is taking a long time to troubleshoot, so I think next steps should be to isolate this to a user or system wide issue.

Create a test user in System Preferences - Users & Groups.

Make it Administrator, username and [Password test.

Log out in the Apple menu and back in again in to test.

Open Skype and try a test call.

Check if the camera works OK in PhotoBooth.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed these steps. I get almost (almost is a key?) the same thing: Unknown USB device, Logitech appears in Photobooth and iChat, and stays unknown in Skpye with the difference being a simple black image instead of an unlocked noise pattern.

FYI, I have, installed, an AJA Kona video capture/display card, plus Matrox MXO2 device (capture/display video). Avid and Final Cut Pro installed. Maybe too many video codec and components...