David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Have MacBook Pro 17" When attempting to turn on it just brings

Have MacBook Pro 17"
When attempting to turn on it just brings up
the Apple screen grinds for several seconds
and shuts off. Have tried taking out battery,
holding power button for>5 secs, same results.
What now?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

What does the grind sound like? Does it sound like the optical drive, or the sound of metal on metal?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No grind sound. Just the sunburst dial going round and round. Also a completion bar at bottom that only goes about 1/3 of the way across then it goes to black screen. It is as if the computer is already on and it is going thru the shutdown.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

This time try Safe Mode and let me know what happens.

First disconnect any peripherals, and shut down.

Then start and hold Shift key until the spinning gear.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Shut down again, and hold Command - S at start up this time.

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get the black screen with whiten letters and it lists kernel version, etc of the system.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Now type:
mount -uw /

and press return.

Then type:
fsck -fy

Let me know how this goes.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says missing thread record (I'd(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Invalid node structure (4, 40914)
** The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a back up of your data that we can use?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately No
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Do you have another Mac to use to transfer data to?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other Mac have iPad or iPhone?
If they will not suffice then will go buy a new Mac.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

There less expensive options. We can try to reinstall the OS, as the error might be due to the OS not a corrupt volume.

If that doesn't work you could try software such as Disk Warrior, or Data Rescue 3, to repair the volume.

Do you know which version of OS X is on your Mac?

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty sure it is 10.6
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

We can try Recovery Mode.

Shut down. Then start up holding Command - R.

Let me know if you get to see the Lion Recovery screen.

If not also let me know if you have the install discs that came with your Mac.

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No joy on command -R and do not have the install disks. Can I go to Mac store and pick something up?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's not a bad idea. They may be able to accommodate an update to Lion, which may resolve the situation.

You will be able to get Snow Leopard discs for us to continue if that is not possible, but I think they will definitely help.

If you let me know your city I can get you the link to the Genius Bar appointment page.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In Baton Rouge
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Here is the page for Baton Rouge:
http://www.apple.com/retail/malloflouisiana/

Please remember that I can continue to help you if you are not yet fully satisfied, and not to rate until I can hear what happens and suggest what to do. Thank you!

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know what software I should pick up. Would like to get everything I need in one trip.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

You should purchase Mountain Lion. The Genius bar should have no issue allowing you to use their Mountain Lion USB Installation drive. They may be able to repair the volume, as they have a Mac and cable there to connect to it and run repairs. If none of this helps, you should inquire about either Disk Warrior, or Data Recovery 3. The first one Disk Warrior, should be available of the shelf, and the Genii should assist in running it.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Yours sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified