David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

Good day, I seem to be having trouble with spam. So, I decided

Customer Question

Good day,

I seem to be having trouble with spam. So, I decided to delete my spambox but my iPad wont allow me - it says 'The message could not be moved to your mailbox Trash'. How do I prevent Spam and how do I now get rid of these messages?

Thx

Knee-Key
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX, XXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

It's best if I know which email App you're using. Is it GMail or Mail?

Which iPad is it, and is it updated to iOS 6?

What type of account is it? GMail, iCloud or other?

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using mail. It is an iPad 2 with updated iOS 6. It is neither iCloud or gmail account.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. If you tap Mailboxes in the top left when in landscape, what mailboxes are listed, is spam one? And what type of icon does it have?

Or if this is a single message, what mailbox is it in?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes spambox- it is a folder - a whole lot of messages.

And when I submitted my question, it won't allow me to enter my email address - it says I have previously registered.

Knee-Key
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what is happening regarding your email, but the most important thing is I have your question, and you can get my answers.

If you select that folder, do all email in that folder give that message if you try to delete them?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - but I get that error with any message I try to delete - from my inbox too. I do seem to be able to move them to the trash but cannot delete out the trash box.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Log into the web version of your email account and make sure that all the emails you wish to keep are all still there.

Then tap Settings on your iPad. Tap Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.Tap the account and Delete the account.

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the iPad is powered off. Power on and add the email account again in Settings.

Let me know if there is a problem or any questions.

Yours sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I did that yesterday, and when I checked this morning, i am again full up with spam!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I tried what was suggested but then when I checked a few hours later, my spam was back and the consultant was offline.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I just got online now.

The Spam email filled up again because they were not deleted from the server.

They are automatically being put there by a spam filter on the server.

Log into your account with web mail, empty that folder Spam, and then restart your Mac and check Mail.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I did that - deleted all the spam on the server, and then loaded my account again - just checked my mail now - nearly 24 hrs later and my spambox just filled up!

I'm at a loss - I don't know what to do!
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Strange. Can you check if they are the same messages coming back, or new spam?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also thought of that - will try but there were many duplicates. Let me see if it will do it again. What also occurred to me is that I didn't delete my trash in the website - which I now have done.

I do still have a problem deleting a message.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

D you have that problem in webmail? If not try deleting there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what u mean by that question?

I just deleted the account, went onto the website, deleted the spm from spambox & trash.

Reloaded my account and still, the spam comes through.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Are they the same spam you deleted, or new ones?

When you delete them from webmail, are they coming back in webmail?

If it happens in webmail the issue is not on your Mac.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think they're the same. I don't use web mail - it's another service provider. Should I be speaking to them about it?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No, not yet. We should have a better chance of fixing it if we stick to it.

Web mail is where you go to the site of your email account in a web browser and login.

If it is a GMail account, go to www.gmail.com or www.yahoo.com if Yahoo!

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh no - I go to a website - www.mtuba.co.za. What do we do now?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's correct. Click email on the left, and sign in.

Delete the spam and empty the Trash.

Then restart, go back there and login, and check if they come back.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to restart before. I've just done as you've said and I've got 2 more spam mails in my account now. When I login again
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Are they new? If so the old ones are gone.

Can you check in web mail again if old, delete, restart, and open Mail.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the did seem to be new ones. I deleted them - restarted and now there aren't any. How do I prevent further spam?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That question is as old as email itself, and is still a big problem for email all over the world. Unfortunately no email account is safe from spam, and any account can be spammed.

There are ways to identify Junk, and automatically remove it. This is built into Mail.

Open the Mail menu, and click Junk.

Here is a description of what each setting means:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4788

Let me know if you have questions, I will be glad to answer any.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I dont seem to have any options or settings in the junk folder. I clicked on the mail icon and then the account - I then have have a junk folder. Is that he right place? I'm still working on the iPad.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

There is no Junk filter on the iPad Mail, you will need to login through web mail and in web mail settings there will be options if it is installed by the administrator.

The junk filters and spam filters are also not 100% accurate, and the nefarious people sending spam are always trying to outwit it. Therefore some spam will still come through.

Check in settings in web mail for spam filtering, junk filtering, and removal of junk mail after a certain length of time.

If you are happy with my answer please give a good or better rating, but please don't rate if you are not finished. come back and I will answer any further questions.

Yours sincerely,
David.

Sincerely,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've sent 2 messages but I keep getting the same page that says 'we're waiting for you' are you receiving my Msg's?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No, sorry I haven't received them. Is it because you are replying to the email? I only get the messages you post on this webpage. I can only see what you can see here. My apologies, please let me know what questions you have here.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No prob - I replied to this MSG twice but I could never see my reply.

I need to stop the spam that I am sending out. Not set the filter of the spam I'm receiving. I'm sorry I'm not that clued up on spam - I think my initial questions might not have explained this.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It's OK. What makes you think you are sending spam from your Mac? As this is highly unlikely.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My service provider has told me that my email address is sending out spam. I only access my email from my iPad.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

This means the emails are coming from somewhere else, which means another computer is logging in with your account details.

To stop this change your password. Make it more secure.

To make it more secure it needs to be longer, and use a mix of lower case and upper case letters, numbers, and special characters.

Let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Has that stopped it? Did you hear from your ISP?

Please let me know,I would like to be able to help if I can.

Sincerely,
David.