MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have a MacBook Pro and when I try to start it up, I just

I have a MacBook Pro and when I try to start it up, I just get a white blank screen or a a white screen with a flashing folder with a question mark. I have read that I should put in the startup disk but I currently have a DVD in the drive and cannot eject it. Also, it never gets past the white screen so i can't click on anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

As a professional Mac technician, I like to take more of a personable, personal approach, toward helping any valued JustAnswer.com customers, I am fortunate to assist.
On that note, may I start by asking your first name?

Customer: Hi, so glad you can help! My name is Larissa.
MacTechTrainer :

Pleasure is all mine Larissa

Customer: Thanks. What can we do to fix it?
MacTechTrainer :

I have a few processes I would like to try with you to help you resolve this issue Larissa- but before I do that, can you confirm for me- what version of Mac OS X you have?

Customer: Ok, sounds good. Well, I think it's mac osx 10.6?
MacTechTrainer :

Thank you.

MacTechTrainer :

I would first like to have you try a PRAM Reset:

Customer: Ok, how?
MacTechTrainer :

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Apple Command Key, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

MacTechTrainer :

Observe your Macbook Pro start up and watch to see if it goes past the white screen to your normal desktop view

MacTechTrainer :

Try this procedure Larissa, and let me know if it makes a difference

Customer: Ok, great, heard the second startup sound, released the keys, now waiting for the white screen to go away
MacTechTrainer :

Watching closely :)

Customer: Well, still just a white screen :( do you know how long it usually takes?
MacTechTrainer :

It should not take any more than 30 -40 seconds

MacTechTrainer :

anytime over that is too long

MacTechTrainer :

So tell me if you would, what DVD do you have in your drive at this time Larissa?

Customer: A disc from a season of the tv show chuck
MacTechTrainer :

Do you have the installation disc for your version of Mac OS X 10.6 handy?

Customer: I'm trying to find it now :(
MacTechTrainer :

Take your time, I will standby

Customer: Great- thank you!
MacTechTrainer :

My Pleasure:)

Customer: Ok, found it! But I was wrong, it says Mac OS X install DVD, but for Mac OS version 10.5.7
MacTechTrainer :

Ah

MacTechTrainer :

I see

Customer: Uh oh.. Is that a problem? :(
MacTechTrainer :

how did you install 10.6

Customer: Well, I guess I must still have 10.5.7, because I don't remember installing anything else.
MacTechTrainer :

In that case, that is alright

MacTechTrainer :

we can use that :)

Customer: Ok, great!
MacTechTrainer :

Now let's eject that disc

MacTechTrainer :

What you will need to do Larissa, is reboot your Macbook Pro and then hold down the Eject key on your keyboard

MacTechTrainer :

keep holding that Eject key until the disc ejects

Customer: Ok, sounds good- how? I tried the eject button, but no
Customer: Lick
Customer: *luck
Customer: Ok, I've been holding it for about two minutes but no luck.. Keep holding? And I'm holding it down while the screen is white, is that right?
Customer: Sorry, didnt see that last part of your reply. Im using my phone to chat with you and the screenview is strange. Will reboot now
Customer: Ok, got it out!! :) now the flashing folder and question mark is back
Customer: Now it just turned off
MacTechTrainer :

Ok, in that case, what I need you to do now, is turn the Macbook Pro back on and insert that installation disc if you can Larissa

Customer: Ok, disc is in
Customer: Now I see the apple sign!
MacTechTrainer :

That is good- keep me posted play-by-play as you can

Customer: Ok, will do. Still just see white screen with the apple sign
Customer: Ok, great! Now I see a box with a bunch of different languages in it
MacTechTrainer :

That is good

MacTechTrainer :

go ahead and click the arrow to continue

Customer: Ok now I'm at Mac OS x leopard installer screen, click continue?
MacTechTrainer :

No

MacTechTrainer :

actually look at the top of the menu bar and tell me if you see a menu item entitled Utilities

Customer: Yep, I see utilities
MacTechTrainer :

Click on that and select Disk Utility

Customer: Ok, at disk utility screen
MacTechTrainer :

Now go to the right side window of the open Disk Utility window and select the hard drive name you see

MacTechTrainer :

above Macintosh HD

Customer: Hmm I don't see Macintosh hd or a hard drive name. I just see two CDs on the left window: hl-dt-st dvdrw gs23n And. Mac OS x I stall DVD. The main big window on the right just says "select a disk, volume, or image
MacTechTrainer :

Once you select that hard drive (i.e. it is your actual internal hard drive for your Macbook Pro).

MacTechTrainer :

Oh really?

Customer: Yea I don't see anything that says hard drive
Customer: :(
MacTechTrainer :

Oh this means that there is an issue with your hard drive

MacTechTrainer :

I hate to say it Larissa, but there may be a hardware issue with your hard drive

MacTechTrainer :

you see, when you boot up to your Mac OS X 10.5.7 Installation Disk, that means you are not, at that time

MacTechTrainer :

booting up to your hard drive-

Customer: Oh no!! :(
MacTechTrainer :

the purpose of using the installation disc, is to use the repair feature through Disk Utility

MacTechTrainer :

to fix any issues with the hard drive or the Macintosh HD

Customer: Hmm, does that mean ive lost everything on my hard drive? :( what do I need to do to fix the hard drive?
MacTechTrainer :

the fact that you cannot see your hard drive, means your Macbook Pro cannot see the hard drive

MacTechTrainer :

Not necessarily

MacTechTrainer :

but I can tell you, even if you had an issue with your Mac OS X system on the hard drive

MacTechTrainer :

by coming to this view where you are now, if the hard drive were ok, you should be able to see it in that Disk Utility window

MacTechTrainer :

That means this I'm afraid means a visit to your local Apple Retail store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, so a diagnostics on the hard drive can be conducted

MacTechTrainer :

if anyone can save any data on your hard drive, it would be through a technical support center

Customer: Oh man. :(
Customer: Do you know what causes this to happen? I feel like its been working fine all along :(
Customer: Well, I really appreciate you trying to fix it. At least know I know it is a problem with the hard drive
MacTechTrainer :

That is the hard part when troubleshooting this way, via chat- I would have to have a hands on approach myself

MacTechTrainer :

to get an idea what is wrong

MacTechTrainer :

Oh yes

MacTechTrainer :

and don't give up hope

MacTechTrainer :

that your data is lost

Customer: Oh ok, yea- I understand
MacTechTrainer :

it may not be- but this hard drive is not well :(

Customer: Ok, I sure hope not!! I've got years of work and a Tom of family pictures on it :( I'll keep my fingers crossed!
MacTechTrainer :

Me too!

MacTechTrainer :

I hope this will be resolved quickly and safely for you

MacTechTrainer :

Just for your reference, I have taken the liberty to provide the store locator links to your local Apple Retail store as well as a general store locator for locating any local Apple Authorized Service center in your area.

MacTechTrainer :

Apple Retail Store(Genius bar - need to set appointment via this website link, if planning on visiting Apple store of choice in your immediate area)

MacTechTrainer :

http://www.apple.com/retail/

MacTechTrainer :

Apple Authorized Service Provider

Customer: Well, thank you so much for trying!
MacTechTrainer :

http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/

MacTechTrainer :

the pleasure was all mine Ms. Larissa!

Customer: Ok, great. I'll take it in tomorrow. Thank you!!
MacTechTrainer :

You are most welcome

Customer: Have a great night, thanks again!!
MacTechTrainer :

Take care

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to press the Accept button, so that I may be compensated for my work.

MacTechTrainer :

And I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. Keep in mind also, when you Accept an answer, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue

MacTechTrainer :

you received help from me, comes back. If all is well however, then there is no need to return. If you want to be cautious however, you are welcome to bookmark this session so you can c

MacTechTrainer :

ome back to this session and alert me.

MacTechTrainer :

Kind Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

Terry, Sr. Mac Support Specialist

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years