Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

my mac pro goes from light blue to dark blue screen but will

my mac pro goes from light blue to dark blue screen but will do nothing else. I can move the curser
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

only the apple logo came up. how do I choose a language?

You will see the screen if it is booting correctly from the disk.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do I set up snow leopard?

NO!!
DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It says repairing permission for Mac Hd. Group differs on library/ documentation & a whole bunch of things afterword. It is still repairing things.

Was Verify Disk ok?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was & the volume mac hd appears to be ok. now what. remember I am blond & over 65:))

Ok if Repair Permissions has finished quit Disk Utility and restart the computer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It did not work. We still got a blue screen. we restarted it twice. it comes up install mac os x

OK then do the same thing again but this time Install Mac OS X if Snow Leopard is the system you were running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it says to it will take 42 minutes so hopefully it will work. Will we lose everything that was on it??

That depends usually not. A reinstall in 10.6 keeps all your data. Let me know. Run Software Update before opening any apps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what would have caused this problem? A virus?? Do we need to install the Applications install dvd?

No just run Software Update after. Usually it is disk corruption
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it seems to be at a standstill at 39 min for the 10 min. We use a hotspot could that be the slow problem.

Do you mean Software Update?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no. the install the mac os x

Oh no the internet is not connected and has nothing to do with that, but the hard drive might be failing. Keep me posted
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

everything came back up. The old screen is back up & it is checking for new updates. I hope it is ok now!Thank you, Mike!!!

Great!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. I am still here if you have any problems or questions.