MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have lost the the pictures in my I-photo and was asked to

Customer Question

I have lost the the pictures in my I-photo and was asked to make a new library?
What can I do to get the pictures back in the original library?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Customer :

Hi what shall I do

MacTechTrainer :

One moment if you would, I will be right with you-

Customer :

Ok

Customer :

What happens???

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for your patience,can you provide me what version of iPhoto you are using?

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry for the delay, I was reviewing your question and determining the course of action I am going to take

Customer :

I am not sure but it has been updated today

MacTechTrainer :

please proceed to verify your version of iPhoto for me, if you would- if not sure what version, click on iPhoto name located near the

Customer :

How do i see the version?

MacTechTrainer :

Apple menu icon at the top left corner of your screen

MacTechTrainer :

and when you click on the iPhoto name, you will see a menu drop down

MacTechTrainer :

all you need to do is click on About iPhoto

MacTechTrainer :

and it will provide you the most current version you have

Customer :

it is I-photo 11 and version 9.4.2.

MacTechTrainer :

Perfect, thank you

MacTechTrainer :

Now in regards to the pictures you have lost in iPhoto, was there a select number of photos or have you lost all access to your photo library?

Customer :

I have lost all access

MacTechTrainer :

Ok here is what I would like you to try:

MacTechTrainer :

Close iPhoto, if it is not already closed

Customer :

Ok it is closed

MacTechTrainer :

Then I want you to press and hold down the Option (or Alt) key on your keyboard

MacTechTrainer :

the click to open the iPhoto application

MacTechTrainer :

and you should get a small Choose iPhoto library window

MacTechTrainer :

tell me if you see that

Customer :

ok i see that

Customer :

But as I do that the safari cuts down

MacTechTrainer :

sorry, what do you mean in regards to Safari cuts down?

MacTechTrainer :

(Just seeking to understand what you are seeing more clearly)

Customer :

I can not read you while I see the small choose I-photo library window

Customer :

What shall I do with the small window

MacTechTrainer :

Oh I see

MacTechTrainer :

no worries,you should be able to move that small window up above where you can still see Safari and that window

Customer :

No the safari disappears as soon as i open the small window and it is not there when I let the alt button off.

Customer :

Ok now it is back in order

MacTechTrainer :

good

MacTechTrainer :

now back to that small window

Customer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

do you have different choices of iPhoto libraries to choose from within that small window?

Customer :

Only one and it says iPhoto-bibliote(förval)

MacTechTrainer :

Go ahead and select that library

MacTechTrainer :

let's see if it will restore your iPhoto library

Customer :

No it does not restore anything it just tells me to get started

Customer :

It say connect a camera

MacTechTrainer :

Ok go ahead and close that window

MacTechTrainer :

That is not what we are looking for, so you can close that

Customer :

Move in pictures in iPhoto

MacTechTrainer :

Is that a message you are getting?

Customer :

Choose importing in arkiv

MacTechTrainer :

does arkiv mean anything to you?

MacTechTrainer :

I am not sure what that is

Customer :

yes and it says so on a yellow piece in the middle of the window

MacTechTrainer :

so is that the name of a camera connected to your computer

Customer :

Arkiv is the storage in swedish!

MacTechTrainer :

One moment- I am going to check this issue in my Mac resources database- I will have a way to help you resolve this shortly

Customer :

It say these there things to get started: 1 Connect a camera 2 Drag in pictures in iPhoto 3 Or import from Arkiv (the storage) the button next to iPhoto in the menu

MacTechTrainer :

Great detail - thanks- that is what I needed to know

MacTechTrainer :

my only concern is, you should not need to have to start over again, unless you are restoring those missing photos from a back up storage

MacTechTrainer :

and now that I know that Arkiv is the storage (in Swedish), if you have your photos stored in that storage solution, then I would definitely recommend you do choose it, so you can bring your photos back into your iPhoto application

Customer :

No I am afrid that now it may be too late to restore or?

MacTechTrainer :

Maybe not

MacTechTrainer :

let me check one of my resources and see if we can rebuild your iPhoto library instead

MacTechTrainer :

that may just get your photos back

MacTechTrainer :

I am now getting some instructions together for you, to help you with the process for rebuilding your iPhoto library

MacTechTrainer :

will be with you in a few minutes, thanks again for your patience

Customer :

I did push the import button maybe a little to quick? and it started to import. Now it is starting to prepare for import but I do not know if it all comes back? Shal I just let it run?

MacTechTrainer :

I would

MacTechTrainer :

especially if you recognize any photos being re-imported

MacTechTrainer :

back into your iPhoto library

MacTechTrainer :

and if this works, then the first procedure we tried would be the solution and I won't have to set you up with steps to rebuild your iPhoto library

Customer :

I had a lot of pictures in the library and I have had problems with my back up time machine so I do not now if I can recover all

MacTechTrainer :

that was going to be my next question!

Customer :

I can not see any photos yet

MacTechTrainer :

if you have Time Machine back ups we can work to restore your photos back into the iPhoto library if this import does not work

Customer :

Now I can see the photos coming in!

MacTechTrainer :

Bingo!

MacTechTrainer :

That is what I was banking on

MacTechTrainer :

from the advent of using that first procedure

Customer :

Ther are only 49000 pictures to go?! Maybe there will be some duplicates too?

MacTechTrainer :

That is always a possibility

MacTechTrainer :

however I would rather there be duplicates, than no photos at all

MacTechTrainer :

I have some software options for you when we get to that point, that will help you quickly get rid of those duplicates

Customer :

If I can not get all the pictures how can I restore them from time machine?

MacTechTrainer :

That is a process I would have to provide you via steps

MacTechTrainer :

but it can be done

Customer :

Will that be included in the fee of 463 kr?

MacTechTrainer :

Do not worry, I will assist you all the way to completion and this is a flat rate service

MacTechTrainer :

so there are no additional charges- and I am committed to helping you resolve this issue to completion :)

Customer :

Must I stay up to complete the import?

MacTechTrainer :

You mean remain in this chat session with me?

MacTechTrainer :

If that is your question,

MacTechTrainer :

the answer is no

MacTechTrainer :

you can exit this session and come back later if you like

MacTechTrainer :

just make sure you bookmark this web session page in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

so you can come back and let me know when the import is completed and you are back online :)

Customer :

Ok shall we say that I come back tomorrow and what shall I do then to get you back?

MacTechTrainer :

Anytime

MacTechTrainer :

no rush

MacTechTrainer :

as long as you get a good solution-- take your time

MacTechTrainer :

Just don't forget to bookmark this page !

MacTechTrainer :

:)

Customer :

Ok I will be back! God night!

MacTechTrainer :

Have a great evening, it has been a pleasure assisting you thus far!

MacTechTrainer :

Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

-Terry

MacTechTrainer :

Sr. Mac Support Specialist

Customer :

Hi again It did not work out and I got a lot of download pictures of no use and not any valuable pictures as were there before the failure!

Customer :

I have to leave a couple of hours but I am back after 13.00

Customer :

Hi can you help me again?

Customer :

Hi it does seem that your help has made anything yet?

Customer :

Sorry I did not get any help!

MacTechTrainer :

Customer :

Hello

Customer :

I have not been able to recover anything!

MacTechTrainer :

I am sorry I missed you, I have been offline and am now just coming back online

MacTechTrainer :

I am ready to assist and will be available into this evening going forwars

MacTechTrainer :

"forward"

MacTechTrainer :

my apologies for missing you earlier- I was completely offline

Customer :

I do not think we can get any further with this!

MacTechTrainer :

on the contrary

MacTechTrainer :

I have not thrown in the towel on this issue for you yet

Customer :

But I have because now the iPhoto is full of small pictures an a large numbers of duplicates which I am trying to clean out!

MacTechTrainer :

After we ended yesterday you were importing over your photos back into the iPhoto library

MacTechTrainer :

after it was done- were you at least able to access your photos?

MacTechTrainer :

I can work with you about the duplicates, I just want to know if those photos you do see are accessible to you now

Customer :

It did not work out at all and as I said the iPhoto is filled with others small signs and no photos of mine

Customer :

The photos are not with me now and they are not to be found

Customer :

There are a few pictures of ours which are there but the majority is trash

MacTechTrainer :

Ok so they are all in the Trash now, the photos you need to access, is this correct?

Customer :

I do not know where they are if you mean the pictures in the iPhoto before this happened? But the few pictures in the present iPhoto are accessible but they are among a lot of other meaningless pictures like a white square or a flower etc.

MacTechTrainer :

I am working as effectively as I can with this new development in order to find out how to get your Photos back- Now if you are not comfortable with any new steps I recommend you try, going forward, please let me know and I will adjust as much as possible to help

Customer :

Right no I have closed down the iPhoto because it was taking a long time to just empty the wastebasket

MacTechTrainer :

Tell me this if you would, I just need to know (duplicates and meaningless photos aside), are you able to see your normal collection of photos you used to see, before the other additional photos came into the library?

Customer :

No

MacTechTrainer :

I believe we may have some opportunities to fix this - so please be patient with me, I am working as fast as I can

Customer :

I have to go to bed so I can only stay a few more minutes

MacTechTrainer :

Do you recall telling me yesterday, that you had some back ups of your iPhoto library in Time Machine?

Customer :

Yes I have been looking at that but the only thin left is the iPhoto library that is in iPhoto now

Customer :

I have been trying to download the backup copie but get the same as yesterday

Customer :

I am going on a trip to US tomorrow and is it possible to wait with the support until I get back in three weeks or what shall we do????

MacTechTrainer :

I will work on this for the next month or two if I have to

MacTechTrainer :

as long as you are ok with allow me to continue helping you, I will be glad to keep finding ways to resolve this issue and try to recover all your photos

MacTechTrainer :

Of course I hope it does not take a month or two- but I just wanted to assure you how committed I am to helping you here

Customer :

OK what do you suggest shall I continue clean off the small pictures I do not need in the iPhoto?

MacTechTrainer :

Wait on that

MacTechTrainer :

I am going to put together some processes and maybe even include some recommended software downloads

Customer :

OK we will be back in three weeks?

MacTechTrainer :

to help try and recover your photos

MacTechTrainer :

oh yes - that is fine

MacTechTrainer :

what I will be doing in the meantime however

MacTechTrainer :

is adding more steps and information to this case

Customer :

I can not find them they seem to be lost!

MacTechTrainer :

for you to try

MacTechTrainer :

That is the typical impression - but until we have exhausted all efforts to recover those photos

Customer :

OK Godbye for now and thank you!

MacTechTrainer :

I personally am keeping hope alive that those photos can be found

MacTechTrainer :

my pleasure

MacTechTrainer :

before you go howver

MacTechTrainer :

can I have the pleasure of your first name?

MacTechTrainer :

I want to remember you by first name and not just "JACUSTOMER"

Customer :

It is Göran and yours?

MacTechTrainer :

again, I am Terry, Sr. Mac Support Specialist, at your service Göran

MacTechTrainer :

and I don't like to lose to tech problems

MacTechTrainer :

so I will work hard on this for you!

Customer :

Thank you Terry!

MacTechTrainer :

and like you did before, just check in with me from time to time, so you can see what I have added to this session Göran

MacTechTrainer :

and you are most welcome

MacTechTrainer :

chat with you withing the next 2-3 weeks sir!

Customer :

OK

Customer :

Ok maybe four!

MacTechTrainer :

lol

MacTechTrainer :

either way, I will have some information waiting for you

MacTechTrainer :

So you have a good evening and thanks again for trusting me to work on this for you

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.