Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Iphoto will not open

Iphoto will not open
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Appleologist :

Before we start troubleshooting, Do you receive an error message?

Customer:

no

Appleologist :

Ok, lets check for updates first. Can you click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates

Customer:

its checking now for updates

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

It is saying updates are available, shall I install them?

Appleologist :

Can you tell me which ones are available?

Customer:

Safari 6.0.2

Appleologist :

Ok thats not important right now. You can update that later. Is iPhoto in your dock

Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

Ok. Can you Press and hold the option key while clicking on iphoto

Customer:

Nothing happens

Appleologist :

Are you continuing to press and hold down the option key until a box appears after clicking on iphoto

Customer:

A small black pop up box appears

Appleologist :

Ok, how many libraries are listed?

Customer:

Just the iPhoto Library, when I click it a box opens saying 'Unreadable file 1 The following file could not be imported. The file is in the iPhoto library folder'

Appleologist :

Ok does it give you an option to continue?

Customer:

Just an OK button, when clicked the same warning appears again and then when clicked again goes away.

Appleologist :

Lets try to rebuild your library. Can you quit iphoto

Customer:

OK done that

Appleologist :

Now Press and hold Command+ Option+ Shift while clicking on iphoto. Continue to hold until you get a dialogue box

Customer:

When I quit iPhoto the icon disappeared from the dock

Appleologist :

Open it again. When it appears in the dock, right click it and choose options>keep in dock

Customer:

OK it opens applications folder with the iPhoto icon in the page

Appleologist :

Can you drag iphoto to the dock

Customer:

Repeat done that and the applications folder opens for iPhoto

Appleologist :

When you press and hold those 3 buttons while launching iphoto, did a box pop up?

Customer:

Dragged to the dock

Appleologist :

Ok Now press and hold command+option+shift while clicking on iphoto

Customer:

OK rebuild photo library box opens

Appleologist :

Yes click on the last option to rebuild database

Customer:

OK...

Appleologist :

let me know when it is done

Customer:

Done

Appleologist :

That was quick. Did it open to your photos

Customer:

Yes, I don't keep many in there

Appleologist :

Ok now quit iphoto and see if you are able to open it normally

Customer:

It does open normally then a box appears saying '26 photos have been found in the iPhoto Library folder that were not imported would you like to import them now? If I say yes iPhoto shuts down with a warning telling me so and asking if I want to re-open. I re-open and the same warning, I click no and iPhoto opens normally.

Appleologist :

Do you know which photos it is referring to?

Customer:

No idea! They are all backed up anyway, how can we get rid of this warning?

Appleologist :

Lets delete iphoto's plist files. What operating system are you running>

Customer:

OSX Lion 10.7.5

Appleologist :

First, quit iphoto. Then click on the finder icon which is the first smilie icon in the dock. In the top menu bar, you will see a GO option

Customer:

You mean 'Go to folder' option, done that and a box appears asking which folder to go to

Appleologist :

In Go, press and hold the option key. You should now see a library folder appear

Customer:

There isn't an option that says just GO in the smiley icon only Go to folder

Appleologist :

Ok choose go to folder and paste ~/Library

Customer:

OK a host of folders appear in the library folder

Appleologist :

Ok, now find the preferences folder

Customer:

OK opened that

Appleologist :

Now locate and delete com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Customer:

OK dragged to trash

Appleologist :

Ok now open iphoto again

Customer:

Same warning about 26 photos comes up I click yes to import and iPhoto shuts down again!

Appleologist :

Close iphoto, open finder and choose your pictures folder

Customer:

OK I am in Pictures folder

Appleologist :

Now right click on "iPhoto Library" and choose 'Show Package Contents'

Customer:

How do I right click ?

Appleologist :

If you do not have right click enabled, Press and hold down the control key and then click on iphoto library

Customer:

Does not have 'show package contents' listed

Appleologist :

Are you clicking on your actual library or iphoto application?

Customer:

In pictures where I store my picture folders iPhoto Library is listed. I am right clicking that

Appleologist :

What are the options that come up?

Customer:

open

Customer:

move to trash

Appleologist :

Hmm that is strange

Customer:

et info, compress iphoto library, burn iPhoto, duplicate, quick look iPhoto library ,.....

Appleologist :

Can you click on iphoto library and choose command+i

Appleologist :

Show package contents should be the third option

Appleologist :

Right above open with

Customer:

NO an option box does not open just info about the folder : size when created etc

Appleologist :

Can you choose get info then

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Click on the lock in the bottom right corner and type in your password

Appleologist :

Under "Sharing and Permission" Is your account name listed?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Yes Privilige is read and write

Appleologist :

When you click on the gear to the left of the lock button, do you see apply to enclosed items?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Can you select that

Customer:

ok and I applied yes

Appleologist :

Ok, did it finish?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok now click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

In the left, choose macintosh HD and then select repair permissions

Customer:

OK reparing permissions activated, about 26 minutes

Customer:

now 17

Appleologist :

Ok, let me know when it is done. Make sure iphoto is closed

Customer:

10

Appleologist :

ok

Customer:

ok it finished

Appleologist :

Ok now can you right click on iPhoto Library and tell me if show package content appears

Customer:

no it doesn't

Appleologist :

Open iphoto

Customer:

OK now it says 28 photos to import

Appleologist :

Does it still quit when you hit import

Customer:

yes and it details the problem details and system configuration, process path identifier etc

Appleologist :

Does it allow you to choose anything

Customer:

OK or Reopen

Appleologist :

Click reopen

Customer:

or hide details

Appleologist :

And the dialog comes back when you hit reopen correct?

Customer:

Yes, now it says 30 photos!

Appleologist :

It keeps growing. Can you right click your iphoto library again. Does it list anything with package or content

Customer:

no

Appleologist :

How many photos do you have in your library

Customer:

Before we go there, in Pictures when I click iPhoto Library it lists a folder named import. This has 30 images that seem to be duplicated from 2 originals. What if we deleted that folder?

Appleologist :

Thats exactly what I was looking for. that folder is suppose to be in show package contents but its not showing. TRASH IT :)

Appleologist :

The entire import folder

Customer:

TRASHED, shall I now try and open iphoto again?

Appleologist :

Yes

Appleologist :

Fingers crossed

Customer:

Woo hoooo! - team work, time for Champagne!!!! All good.

Appleologist :

Ha ha awesome!!!

Appleologist :

You can now go ahead and rate my answer and end the Chat. You can also get back to me anytime you want even after rating at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/.Enjoy the rest of your day :)

Customer:

Thank you Michelle, enjoy your day too. Tony

Appleologist :

No problem :)

Appleologist :

Thanks for your Patience Tony :)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.