Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I am unable to access 100/149 events in iphoto after deleting

Customer Question

I am unable to access 100/149 events in iphoto after deleting 10k photos from my photos, not iphoto, which had been downloaded in an attempt to restore deleted photos from my camera's memory card
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by "my photos, not iphoto" is that on another Apple device or on the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

under finder, all images

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That is not a good idea... when you list them like that you don’t know where they are located and obviously you are removing them from the iPhoto Library somehow. Open any folder do you see Pictures listed in the left column?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure what you mean by opening any folder, do you mean in iphoto?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No any folder on the Desktop or just open Macintosh HD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I opened HD on the desktop all I see are more folders

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.5.8

Processor 7.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDARM

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You don't see a column on the left like this?

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I do

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK select the House icon that is your Home folder. Then you should see your Pictures folder on the right. Open that and look for iPhoto Library. Is it s folder or does it look like this:

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It looks like the iphoto icon

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
And if you double click on it is just opens iPhoto?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. And the only photos I can see are ones with viewable events. Initially the affected events would show thumbnails and when I would click on a thumbnail all I would get an

exclamation point. After an attempt to restore thumbnails through I library now all I see is a dotted line box.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The disk was ok and I did repair permissions but it was not successful.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK now go to the Apple Logo to Software Update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My software update is going incredibly slow. Sorry but I have recently updated, past week. I will continue unless I hear from you

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes update all then restart the computer hold down the Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. Check all the boxes and run Rebuild.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Then go to Finder / Preferences and uncheck All My Files it will just get you into trouble.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You could be my saviour! You have no idea the frustration I have felt, actually I know that is not true. Any way I will be in touch in the hours it takes.....i have some hope it looks like

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you made new Libraries you need to look through those too. Hold Option when opening iPhoto to see what is listed. Good luck and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

guess I spoke too soon. I received a message "software update cannot be installed, the software update could not expand the package correctly"

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Restart and try again. I suggest you upgrade to Snow Leopard when possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The update installed but no change. I still cannot access my photos!!!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Well you may have deleted them. Did you hold Option and open iPhoto to see the other libraries?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Also go to iPhoto / Preferences/ Advanced next to Importing is Copy items to iPhoto library checked?

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I may have missed a step, plan to print out our conversation and be in touch in the am, is that OK?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
K come back when ready
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. The copy box was checked for iphoto preferance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since I have not had a reply, I might as well return to Mike.....I will await a response on this site or my e-mail as I will likely be too busy to be on the computer today. Thank you. I am hoping to be able to resolve my problem soon, whatever the outcome is.

Relist: Other. mike is unavailable

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I did not get notice you replied. Go to your Pictures folder hold Control and click on each iPhoto Library and go to Show Package Contents. There you will see folders called Originals or Masters and Modified, those are your actual photos. Once each is open hold Option and drag those folders to your desktop or another drive to copy them. If you have already rebuilt each library then that is about all you can do then make a new Library and drag those photos back to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got home from work and am going out for the evening. When do you expect to be online again? I checked out what you suggested but need more time, so will resume tom. am. Thank you,

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I did go to pictures and found my originals and modified and did the file for 2012 which is now in iphoto but it is a shadow of its former self, in terms of numbers. Is this all I can expect? I will proceed with the other year's files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
we have not completed our conversation
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I never got notice of your reply are you relisting? Yes go through all the Libraries you can find in that folder.