Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Aloha, my iMac has decided to take a break. I can open up

Aloha, my iMac has decided to take a break. I can open up or start the computer and the past work using the HP utility, and scanning comes up and then has the cursor at the apple on the left corner of the screen and won't move. I have tried the option command and turning the power off and restarting, also tried unplugging it too. Any suggestions? Mahalo Barbara

Restart and hold Shift key until you see the Apple logo. After it starts up let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did get the cursor back and started the computer again, but when opening up Firefox (Yahoo) the cursor just disappears, so that becomes a problem again. Any thoughts about that? Barbara

OK go to Apple Logo to System Preferences/ Accounts choose your account and then click on Login Items select any HP items and click on the minus sign to remove them then restart the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought it was all working, clicked on the minus sign. Then I turned everything off. Restarted the computer, cursor working for a minute, and then I opened up the systems preferences clicked on the Print and Scan and have lost the cursor again. In between, I changed the batteries on the mouse--it sometimes says that I have lost the connection. What next?

Go to System Preferences/ Blutooth and un-pair the mouse, then turn the mouse off and back on and re-pair it. Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no cursor/arrow so can't click on anything so the mouse gets to run away. Need some humor now, at least I do. Barbara

Did you turn the mouse off and back on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did turn it off and on. It showed not connected and then connected and still no cursor

So you never un-paired it? Do you have a USB mouse around?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK--I turned off the computer to take a break and have it do the same.

It's back on. I have the cursor arrow and can click on the apple on the

left top side of the computer, it open up the choices to click, but the

arrow will not move. I clicked on the mouse again and then the screen changed to the clock, date, weather, etc. What now?

Do you have a USB mouse around?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry that I do not have a USB mouse around.

Can you get to System Preferences/ Blutooth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Cursor will not move from the top left corner.

Hold the power button for about 10 seconds then:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
1. Shut down the computer. (already done)
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey there--cursor is working--am on the Blue tooth. It shows that keyboard is connected and the mouse is connected. Do I click off the on and also the discoverable

Is it still freezing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not at the moment

If it does then you should do that but that might have fixed it. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. I am unsure as to what exactly worked, but it seems OK for now. Mahalo from Kauai Barbara

Great... resetting the PRAM most likely is what fixed it. THANKS!