Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

I am plugging my new iphone into my laptop to restore from

I am plugging my new iphone into my laptop to restore from itunes backup but itunes won't acknowledge the phone! it won't sync. What can I do? I have the most current version of itunes. I just checked for new downloads. I also restarted my computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Appleologist :

Before we get started, quit itunes and reset your iphone by pressing both the sleep and home button until the apple logo appears

Customer:

It's ok to reset the phone even tho I'm in the middle of setting it up for the first time?

Appleologist :

So is this the first time you every plugged it into itunes on your computer?

Customer:

Yes. I am configuring the iphone 5 for the first time.

Appleologist :

Well to start congrats on your new phone :) Does iphoto recognize your iphone?

Customer:

no.

Customer:

at least it didn't pop up at all.

Appleologist :

Can you open iphoto and see if shows up in the left column

Customer:

It looks like it does. there is an iphone icon on the left between "last 12 months" and my first folder of photos. And the main screen says "there are no items to import"

Customer:

I am a tech moron, btw. in case u haven't noticed. =)

Appleologist :

Ha ha no you are not. At least we know it is not your phone or your computer. Can you click on the apple icon in the upper left corner and choose software updates. let me know which updates are available

Customer:

it says my software is up to date. no new software to download at this time.

Appleologist :

Ok lets delete itunes Plist file. This will dot delete any of your music. What operating system are you running?

Customer:

Mac OS X

Customer:

Version 10.4.11

Customer:

I've had trouble with itunes recognizing my old phone too. but it was fine last night when I synced. also, i could never figure out how to update the operating system on my 3Gs. itunes would never offer it.

Appleologist :

The reason why itunes will not recognize your iphone 5 is because you do not meet the system requirements. You will need 10.6.8 with iTunes 10.7

Customer:

How do I get that?

Customer:

do i have to buy a new computer? can 2 users sync to the same computer? my husband has a new apple desktop. can we both sync there?

Appleologist :

You can absolutely share computers and use the same itunes for your devices. You can also create a separate user account if you wish. To determine if you can even upgrade to 10.6. Click on the the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac

Customer:

ok. did that...

Appleologist :

Can you read me the processor and memory

Customer:

2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo

Customer:

1 GB 677 MHz RAM

Appleologist :

Ok great, your computer can upgrade. Now you have 2 options. You can either take your computer to your local apple store and have then update it for you. Or you can buy the install disk from amazon or ebay. Apple no longer sells 10.6 which is snow leopard

Customer:

Hmmm..... ok. In the meantime, what do I do with the phone? just leave it in the current stage of configuration? or should i sync to my husband's computer for now. will it automatically download all his stuff if I do that?

Appleologist :

To get the phone up and running you do not need itunes. But if you need to sync your music, you can plug your phone into your husbands computer. Did you purchase all of your songs and applications from itunes? Also was your old phone running IOS 5.0?

Customer:

I did purchase all my stuff from itunes. my old phone was running --- how do i tell what it was running? i'm in settings > about - is it version? modem firmware?

Customer:

i think it's hopelessly outdated. there were apps i could no longer run because the operating system was too old.

Appleologist :

Click on about and look at version

Customer:

version 4.1 (8B117)

Appleologist :

Ok yea you are too behind. Well the good news is that you can download all of your purchases from itunes without your computer and apple now backs up data to icloud. They are trying to do everything wirelessly which is super helpful

Customer:

ok. i have a genius bar appointment in 1 1/2 hours. hopefully they can get it going.

Appleologist :

Well I can still assit you in setting up your iphone since you will not need itunes if you like

Customer:

yes! i'm at the point in configuration where it says 'connect to itunes' but then there's no next button. i've already lost service to my old phone, so i think it's connceted.

Appleologist :

Ok, lets start over. Press and hold the sleep button to slide to power off

Customer:

the sleep button is the one on the top?

Appleologist :

yes

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Ok now turn it on. It should be at the welcome screen

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it's starting at the beginning, asking if i want english

Appleologist :

Ok now choose your language

Appleologist :

yes choose english

Customer:

ok. and then the US

Customer:

i'm already hookedup to my wifi network

Appleologist :

Yes

Customer:

set up as new phone?

Appleologist :

Yes

Appleologist :

Let me know when it is at the home screen

Customer:

ok. now i have to get help getting my apple id. can't remember that.....

Appleologist :

Did you forget the password?

Customer:

i forgot everything. i know my itunes log in and password

Customer:

is that different than apple id?

Appleologist :

That is the same

Customer:

ok, just a minute..

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

i should set up icloud shouldn't i?

Appleologist :

Absolutely!

Customer:

done. i've activated find my iphone, and siri, now it's asking me diagnostics - automatically send?

Appleologist :

Yupe

Appleologist :

Yup

Customer:

ok. i'm at the home screen and a pop up says "cannot back up this iphone cannot back up to icloud without a verified email address" i'm going to setting to do that....

Customer:

ok, i have to check my email to verify my account. my apple id is currently my work email, but my default email on my old phone was gmail. should i go to gmail?

Appleologist :

Check your email. Apple sends a verification email to confirm

Appleologist :

Yes please

Customer:

but will my verification email go to my work email since that's my apple id?

Customer:

i don't see it in the gmail i've just set up...

Appleologist :

It sends it to your work email address. can you check that one

Customer:

ok. they verified my address. i went to setting and tapped on icloud, as instructed. it has my apple id as my work email. then a bunch of buttons are on except mail and notes (contacts, calendars, reminders, and safari are 'on') why are the other 2 off? should i turn them on. is this referring to stuff syncing to icloud?

Appleologist :

No that does not sync to icloud so you can leave it off. Scroll all the way down to storage and backup and confirm that it is enabled

Customer:

yes. iCloud backup is 'on'. does it do this automatically?

Appleologist :

yes. You can also do it manually if you wish. Now let me show you how to re-download your purchases

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Click on itunes

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

At the bottom right corner, choose more then choose purchases

Customer:

ok. is this to restore just music or apps too?

Appleologist :

This music. We will do apps too

Customer:

ok. i chose music.

Appleologist :

Do you see all of your music?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok so you can hit download all. Now lets do your apps. It works the same way. Click on the app store icon

Customer:

um...i hit a button "all songs" and now it's thinking. the screen is white.

Appleologist :

Allow it to process.

Appleologist :

You will then see a "Download All" button in the upper right corner

Customer:

i think it's stuck. the "clock"/circle thingy isn't spinning....

Appleologist :

Ok, quit itunes and try again

Customer:

is there a way to quit besides hitting the home button?

Customer:

the apple Q equivalent on the keyboard?

Appleologist :

Yes. Double tap the home button. You will see recently opened applications. Press and hold itunes until you see a red prohibitory sign. Click on the sign to close it

Customer:

same thing is happening. you know what? i think i'll wait until i can download everything from itunes at once. i'm just happy to have the phone since i don't have landline.

Appleologist :

Service is totally slow due to Sandy so that may be the reason it is taking so long

Customer:

ok. that makes sense. i *really* appreciate your help! i learned so much - like how to quit a program on my phone. and that apple id is the same as itunes. thank you so much!

Appleologist :

You are so welcome. Before we disconnect, do you want me to walk you through re-downloading apps?

Customer:

won't it do that thru itunes too?

Customer:

when i can finally sync?

Appleologist :

Yes. There are 2 ways to sync now. Through itunes or through icloud. You can choose the option that is easier for you

Customer:

so are you trying to show me how to set up syncing thru icloud?

Appleologist :

iCloud is already set up. Just like how I showed you how you can re-download your music without connect it to itunes, Applications work the same way

Customer:

do i have to do it once, like you're showing me, for it to work in the future?

Customer:

because i still don't understand how to get the music to download thru itunes.

Appleologist :

Remember in itunes where you choose "all music" when the server is working, all of your music will appear with the option to download all which will then download to your phone

Customer:

ok, so maybe the fact that i don't have a download option is because the server is currently not working?

Appleologist :

Correct

Appleologist :

But lets check the app store

Appleologist :

Can you open it

Customer:

aha. got it. app store open

Appleologist :

Ok now click on the updates button located in the lower right. You will then see a "Purchased" Tab

Customer:

ok. same as itunes. i see 'all" and "not on this iphone" and all my apps with the icloud icon next to them, but no download button

Appleologist :

Well at least you know how to get there. For now, the server is down so it is not available to this moment

Customer:

yes. thank you for showing me. one more time, do i need to do this once for each of them in order for it to automatically sync to icloud in the future?

Appleologist :

Nope you will only need to re-download it once. It is already in the cloud

Customer:

got it. once more thing. there is a red 1 on the settings icon, like when you have a text message, but when i open settings i can't figure out what it's notifying me about...

Appleologist :

Sure, Click on general

Appleologist :

It may be an update

Customer:

duh. there was a 1 there. then a 1 on software update, which i clicked. ok, i'm getting the latest software update now. download and install right?

Appleologist :

Apple just released an OS update this morning

Appleologist :

Yup :)

Customer:

i'm going to update later. i gotta jet to get to my genius bar appointment.

Appleologist :

Ok, well we are all set! You can now go ahead and rate my answer and end the Chat. You can also get back to me anytime you want even after rating at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/.Enjoy the rest of your day :)

Customer:

Thank you SO MUCH!!! You have no idea. Thank you for being so patient with me. You have a great day too..... -jessica

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.