John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I am in midle of a an acrimomious divorce - I laways log off

I am in midle of a an acrimomious divorce - I laways log off my PC when away from my desk but my wife is always trying to guess my password XXXXX read my emails.

Can she get someone to install spyware on my PC when I am out - even if my computer is logged off?
Or can she use any password XXXXX programme if my computer is logged off?

Thanks for your answer -
J.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Don't forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my service only and not this website itself or your issue.

What version of OS X are you running on your MacBook?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am actually asking this on behalf of my brother who believes his computer is safe but I have doubtsand so does his lawyer. Unfortunately I do not know the answer to your question without asking him and he dosnt think he needs professional advice.

Can you answer my question in a general way? I know he has a state of the art PC Apple mac

Okay,

There are keyloggers, and similar, software available that could be used to "spy" on his computer habits but it would take specific working knowledge of Macs in order to gain entry to and install 3rd party software.

The process to further secure the Mac depends greatly on the version of software installed. If it's a brand new Mac purchased within the last year or so he could add a "firmware password". Once added though, it can not be forgotten as there is no way around it but for a trip to the Apple Store.

To access this feature;

Restart the Mac

When you hear the chime, Hold ⌘R to boot into the Recovery HD

Chose your language

Then, from the Utilities menu select the Firmware Password XXXXX

This should add another layer of protection.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question and if so please don't forget to rate my service . If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is a keylogger also a password XXXXX? And could ANY kind of access be gained IF the PC is logged off? he has set it so that if it is logged off then the password XXXXX to be typed to log on again.

His PC is more than year old i think - but is there any other way he could access this Firmware password? And what is the advantage of it regarding someone trying to guess his PW or use sofware to guess it?

No, a keylogger is to track his habits.

If someone has knowledge of Macs and has physical access to it then they don't need a password XXXXX to get past the normal login. The person could reset passwords by booting off of a retail install CD, for example.

The firmware password XXXXX prevent boot from other devices (CD or flash drives) among other things.

If his Mac is older and not running OS X 10.7 or later then he would have to boot off of his original install CD to access the Firmware password XXXXX