Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Hello, I have an iMAC mid 2007 with Mountain Lion. I downloaded

I have an iMAC mid 2007 with Mountain Lion. I downloaded the firmware update suggested by App Store and it got stuck shutting down. So I shut down pressing the power button and now the iMAC wont boot. When I power up the machine, it shows the Apple icon and a progress bar at the bottom, but then immediately shuts off the IMAC again.

I can get into recovery mode, used the utility disk and it tells me it can´t repair the hard-drive.

I tried using the hard drive as target with another mac, but can´t see the drive. I can only see the windows partition.

I tried using the firmware recovery CD but won´t take it if I keep pressing the power button. I only hear a long beep but does not take firmware from CD. It goes back to the Apple icon with progress bar and then shuts off the iMAC.

My main objetive is to recover the files (photos). I have a time machine backup up to July 2012 but I did not back up aug, sept and oct.

Can you help me recovering the boot or the files?
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

I dont know if this first step is going to help, but its worth a shot

Once you have reset the pram, try to boot into safe mode.. If you cant boot.

Then here is my advice.. Go ahead and format the hard drive. ( yes, this will erase your files)

Once it is formatted , another mac will be able to see it again..

Then, you can run a forensic file recovery program on the drive , and recover probably 80-90 percent of the photos.. ( even after the format and deletion)

The program below, is pretty effective..

Im also pretty sure that at this point you realize that at the end of the day, your going to have to reformat and reinstall.. Ive had great luck with file recovery programs..Like I said, you wont get all the pictures back, but you will get a vast majority of them.

if you have any further questions, let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the submit button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to submit your rating and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your advice, however I think I found a safer way to recover but I need more help. I installed Linux Mint on a CD and boot from that CD. Now I can see all my files from the iMAC hard drive. However certain folders are protected with permissions and does not allow me to copy and paste into a USB drive. Check out this video:

update 11/3/12:

I was able to boot on OSX from a USB drive and recovered most of my files.