Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

I have a Iphone 3gs and it keeps cutting off and will not comeback

Customer Question

I have a Iphone 3gs and it keeps cutting off and will not comeback on until I hook it up to computer. I did try to unsucessfully jailbreak it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today.

My first thought would be that it's a battery issue, since it works when you plug it to a power source. My second thought would be to try and perform a reset of the phone. You can do that by doing the following:

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

graphic

If that doesn't work, then I would perform a complete restore of the software. Before you restore, I suggest you perform a backup.

1. 1. Connect your iPhone to a computer with the latest version of iTunes installed.
  2. 2. Select your iPhone in iTunes under Devices.
  3. 3. Right-click (or Control-click) the device and select Back Up.
  4. 4. Select your iPhone under Devices. Select the Summary tab, and click the Restore button.
  5. Once it's complete, you want to restore from your backup. Right-click (or Control-click) the iPhone under Devices and choose Restore from Backup.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions, please remember to rate my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I seem to be having a problem with Itunes, it keeps coming up with a error message that says that it has stopped working. It will not let me restore.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
1. Close iTunes.
2. Run Apple Software Update by going to Start > All Programs to see if you are running the latest version of iTunes. You might have to reinstall it. http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
3. Also, if you have not rebooted your computer, do that and try the Restore again.

Let me know if you are still having problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have reinstalled Itunes and rebooted the computer, now a couple of things are happening. When I click on Itunes the fonts get larger and when I click on restore it reads Contacting Itunes software server, but never connects

PS I'm using a e machine computer running windows 7, not a Mac

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
  1. 1. Close iTunes.
  2. 2. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
  3. 3. Select Network and Internet and select Internet Options. Or in Classic View, open the Internet Options control panel.
  4. 4. Click the Connections tab.
  5. 5. Click the LAN Settings button.
  6. 6. Select the "Automatically detect settings" checkbox, so a check is in the box.
  7. 7. Click OK in both windows.
  8. 8. Reopen iTunes and connect your iPhone.
  9. 9. Update or restore your device.

If that does not work, try these steps:

1. Open up the Command Prompt by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories.

2. Type the following commands and press the Enter key after each one:

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

3. Reboot your computer.

Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 17+ years of IT support
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done all you asked and it had seem to work, for awhile then started back cutting off again, sometimes If I hit the power button, it will comeback on, other times it will not until I plug it up to my computer and it will show a dead battery, however before it failed the battery did not indicate it was dead.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
If you've completed a software restore and it continues to keep cutting off, it probably is just the battery. The 3GS is over 3yrs old and those batteries are supposedly only good for 400 charge cycles. They sell replacement battery kits online for around $20. It's not hard to replace the battery.

Does the phone work when plugged in? If so, then I would look to replace the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have replaced the battery, it still give me problem. It doesn't hold a charge very long and it will cut off and I can't get it started unless I hook up to my computer. It may show apple logo, but will not come on. It also stays in safe mode a lot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
It's taking too long to get a response
Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure that your phone is not jailbroken? Safe mode is a pretty good sign that it is. I know you mentioned early on in this question that it was a failed attempt. To me, it sounds like it might have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I had it jailbroken remotely, but problem existed before. The problem is it doesn't hold a charge for very long and will abruptly cut off and I can't restore it unless I hook it up to source. However I remind you it was acting this way before it was sucessfully jail broken

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to eliminate any possibility of it being software related. Being that it's been doing it with two different images and a new battery, it has to be some other internal hardware problem. Are you running a newer iOS version, 6.x.x?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm running 6.0.1

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
To be honest, I don't think there is much that can be done. The phone has up to date software on it and the battery is new. There are other components that can be replaced, but where does one start since there are so many.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I lost connection. I'm thinking of sending it out to be repaired by techs. Do you think this is a good idea or just save my money?

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
If it were me, I would save my money. For what you might end of paying, you could buy a newer model or another 3GS off Ebay, Craigslist, wireless carrier, etc. For example, a logic board for the 3GS can runs around $150 without labor.