Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I, for no good reason, have again lost all font variation and

I, for no good reason, have again lost all font variation and a lot of readable text on a particular .doc on my Mac. Now I can't restore it. It even opens this way when I open a good copy of it on a thumb drive. How do I restore this document?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's version 10.7.5; 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5; and 2GB memory at 1333 MHz DDR3. I have a certain .doc file that contains text only, a couple of different sizes, all in Helvetica (or else Arial) except for a few lines where I have a few cursive fonts, at least one type of these fonts I added to the computer. That may be the origin of this problem. This is the 3rd time all text has been "reverted" to some unfamiliar font upon opening, with about 10% being unreadable gobbly-gook. In the past it has corrected, the last time it corrected by opening a copy of the document off of a thumb drive. This time I can't get it to correct.

Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, which is the Command key? This is a Dell keyboard. The Windows icon (waving window symbol)? Or Ctrl? Or the one with an icon that looks like a document with a cursor?

Not Control so try the other one
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It looks like the Windows symbol was it. It took me into User Utility (I think it was called). I decided against reverting to a previous time because then I'd likely lose work I've done since that time. Not worth it. I'll keep this fix in mind though in case I want to one day. Thank you.

I never said to revert to a previous time? This is general maintenance not Time Machine? We have more to do after that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, Time Machine is what came up automatically, through User Utility. There was not a 'Recovery HD partition' message, or 'Disk Utility' message.

Restart and hold the Option key until you see your boot partitions, then choose the Recovery HD, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have the steps alright, but now I don't see what would be the 'option' key. What would the key be that has a picture of text with a cursor? I don't want to be experimenting without knowledge.

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the chart on key meanings. I restarted holding Ctrl + R but the operating system came up naturally - no affect. I think I'll let this go and just not combine any uncommon font work with other data on the same document in the future. Thanks.

Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and Execute. Restart.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php

That should delte your font cahce that might fix it.