MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

For everything I need to do with software installation, I am

Customer Question

For everything I need to do with software installation, I am asked for my password XXXXX user ID. I think I remember my user ID, but I cannot for the life of me, remember my password. I can't even change my password XXXXX the old one! Even the hint doesn't help me. What do I do.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and just to make sure I understand, are you seeking the user name and password XXXXX you user account on your Mac computer?

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

yes

MacTechTrainer :

May I ask what version of Mac OS X are you using ?

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

It is what came with the computer ("Lion", i think) since I cannot install anything else without my password.

MacTechTrainer :

No worries

MacTechTrainer :

I have just the process to help you here

MacTechTrainer :

one moment if you would:)

MacTechTrainer :

First you are going to need to reboot your Mac

MacTechTrainer :

and then hold down the Option key

MacTechTrainer :

Before I continue

MacTechTrainer :

please make sure to bookmark this session page in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

if you are using the same affected mac you are chatting with me on

MacTechTrainer :

If you are not sure how to bookmark, just let me know

MacTechTrainer :

I will be glad to show you how

MacTechTrainer :

this way, when you reboot your Mac, you can come back to this session per that bookmark and we can resume communicating

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

I do not know how to either bookmark or reboot, please guide me through it.

MacTechTrainer :

sure

MacTechTrainer :

are you using Safari as your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

?

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

yes

MacTechTrainer :

Ok from Safari, look up on the toolbar at the top of your page and select Bookmarks

MacTechTrainer :

from that top menu

MacTechTrainer :

then select Add Bookmark from the menu that drops down

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

It wanted to know where to add the book mark. I added to my "reading list" was that correct?

MacTechTrainer :

That is ok too

MacTechTrainer :

you can quickly view the reading list and access any links under that section

MacTechTrainer :

so that is good too

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

Now how do I reboot without losing you?

MacTechTrainer :

You will lose this session

MacTechTrainer :

but that is ok

MacTechTrainer :

when you reboot and get back to your deskto

MacTechTrainer :

"desktop"

MacTechTrainer :

and open up Safari

MacTechTrainer :

and then click on the eye glass icon located in the upper left side of the Safari page

MacTechTrainer :

and that will open up your Reading list

MacTechTrainer :

and you should see the addition of this page in that list

MacTechTrainer :

makes sense?

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

OK, now how do I reboot and will a new session cost me another fee of $58, since you said I will lose this session.

MacTechTrainer :

if not let me know, I want you to be as comfortable as possibe;

MacTechTrainer :

Oh no

MacTechTrainer :

you can't lose me like that

MacTechTrainer :

all you are doing, is closing the session because you are turning off your Mac and then turning it back on (i.e. Rebooting)\

MacTechTrainer :

I will still be here in this session actively waiting for you to return after you complete the procedure I am about to provide you in a moment

MacTechTrainer :

When you do reboot, and once you are back up to your main desktop

MacTechTrainer :

you are going to launch Safari once again

MacTechTrainer :

If you look at this screen shot taken from Safari

MacTechTrainer :

when you reboot your Mac and have Safari open

MacTechTrainer :

you will just click on the Eye glass icon

MacTechTrainer :

and then you will see a column of saved Reading lists

MacTechTrainer :

including the link for this page

MacTechTrainer :

just click on it

MacTechTrainer :

and viola'!

MacTechTrainer :

I will be right here waiting for you

MacTechTrainer :

don't worry, I will be here until I get this issue resolved for you

MacTechTrainer :

Is this a little clearer for you?

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

yes thanks

MacTechTrainer :

if not please let me know, I am very patient and focused on this issue for you:)

MacTechTrainer :

Excellent

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

To reboot do I just select restart from my Apple pop down menu?

MacTechTrainer :

I am glad you reminded me about the reading list function in Safari

MacTechTrainer :

it is faster than bookmarks

MacTechTrainer :

yes

MacTechTrainer :

but before you do that

MacTechTrainer :

I need to provide you some simple steps for resetting your User Admin Account password

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

Great since that is my main frustration

MacTechTrainer :

Completely understood indeed

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

I am going to write down the steps on a notepad since I am not able to print anything at this time. I am not hooked up to a printer right now.

MacTechTrainer :

No worries

MacTechTrainer :

here are the steps:

MacTechTrainer :

1.) Reboot your Mac by clicking on the Apple menu icon located at the top left corner of your screen and select Restart from the menu. Click Ok to approve the restart.

MacTechTrainer :

2.) When you Restart your Mac hold the Option key down and choose Recovery HD in the startup screen when that screen appears (while you are holding the Option key)

MacTechTrainer :

3.) From the Utilities menu in the Mac OS X Utilities screen that appears, choose Terminal.

MacTechTrainer :

4.) In the Terminal window that appears type after the $ symbol, the word: resetpassword and press Returnon your keyboard

MacTechTrainer :

5.) A Reset Password XXXXX will pop up. Select your Mac OS X Lion startup volume, located in the top of the window and then, from the pop-up menu below, select your User Admin account that you want to reset the password XXXXX the targeted user account.

MacTechTrainer :

6.) In the fields below that, go ahead and enter and confirm your new password. If you wish, you can enter a password XXXXX in the appropriate field. When everything is setup to your satisfaction, click on Save

MacTechTrainer :

7.) Finally, choose Restart from the Apple menu and your Mac will boot up and you can now use the new password XXXXX’ve created.

MacTechTrainer :

Let me know if you have any questions regarding these instructions

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX all the steps down. If I have trouble during the process, is there a phone number where I can reach you?

MacTechTrainer :

There is no phone number

MacTechTrainer :

because we are only email and chat based

MacTechTrainer :

however, that if you review the steps above,

MacTechTrainer :

you now have a reading list bookmark of this page

MacTechTrainer :

and can come right back to it once you are done with the password XXXXX

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

OK here goes. . . .

MacTechTrainer :

Alright

MacTechTrainer :

I will be watching

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

I'm back

JACUSTOMER-12h5b2s5- :

This page says you are offline. How do I get you back???I have completed all steps in resetting my log in password XXXXX you gave me. Now I am being asked to give a keychain password.

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Hi Mary, I am here!

And not a problem, if you see the keychain password request, just use the same password you just reset.

Try that and let me know if this helps.

Thanks Mary!

-Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Terry,

Thanks so much for your help. I will come back in future if I run into other problems. I created an account profile, and am considering the monthly subscription. We old ladies are sometimes flummoxed with these new fangled machines.

Thanks most kindly,

Mary

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Haa haa! That is wonderful to read Mary!

And please, if you need my assistance directly again, just click on my name below:

The MacTechTrainer

Always a pleasure to assist!

Kind Regards,

Terry ("The MacTechTrainer"
Sr. Mac Support Specialist