webpagesby22
webpagesby22, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I have eight years of experience working with Macs and Windows machines in corporate enviroments.
61542057

After the regular and most recent update of OS X 10.6.8 was

After the regular and most recent update of OS X 10.6.8 was made, I lost access to mail. If I re-install mail do I lose all the previous contents? How do I safely re-install and not lose any of my mail contents & folders?

Hi,Give this a tryHold down the Option (⌥) key and choose Apple () menu > System Profiler… to open System Profiler.Click "Applications" in the "Software" section. Note: The spinning gear in the top middle indicates a search in progress. Once completed, sort by application name and look for "Mail" to see all copies.Make sure Mail v4.6 is located in the Applications folder—move it back there if it is not.After moving Mail back to Applications, reinstall the Mac OS X Update v10.6.8 Combo v1.1.Reinstall Security Update 2012-004.

Sorry the the directions didnt post correctly

1. Hold down the Option (⌥) key and choose Apple () menu > System Profiler… to open System Profiler.
  2. Click "Applications" in the "Software" section. Note: The spinning gear in the top middle indicates a search in progress. Once completed, sort by application name and look for "Mail" to see all copies.
  3. Make sure Mail v4.6 is located in the Applications folder—move it back there if it is not.
  4. After moving Mail back to Applications, reinstall the Mac OS X Update v10.6.8 Combo v1.1.
  5. Reinstall Security Update 2012-004.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just now have got your more correct directions, including where to click to reinstall. Can you just please confirm that the contents of my mail will NOT be lost?

You will move the mail app to the trash can but do not empty it. Then run the update from the link below

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1586

After installing the update move the mail app back to your applications folder.

You will not lose any of your information from your mail app.

You can go to this forum if you get lost with the steps

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4395730?start=0&tstart=0

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, it hasn't worked, I still cannot access my mail from the mail folder/icon on the dock. It seems there are also others having the same problem since the last update. Will leave your rating but just wanted to know the problem is not solved. Thanks.