Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience

I have an iMac with mountain lion, the voice dictator is no

I have an iMac with mountain lion, the voice dictator is no longer activating how can I find out what is wrong with it?
Thank you for the question. You should be able to re-activate the voice dictation by doing the following:

1) Click the Apple button on the top left corner of your screen
2) Click on "System Preferences"
3) Click "Dictation and Speech"
4) Set Dictation to ON
5) Set a shortcut by selecting one of the options from the Shortcut list
6) Close the window to save your changes
7) Open a text document and attempt to activate the dictation again using the shortcut you selected

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist further. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for this,

Unfortunately it did not work, when i try to initiate the dictation i just hear a dink noise. any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply. That noise typically means that the dictation is active. What happens when you activate dictation using your shortcut, say something, and then tap the button again? For example, if your "fn" key is the shortcut, double-tap fn, say something, then press fn again. Does it insert the words on to the page?

If not, I suggest turning off dictation using the same steps I sent initially, restarting the machine, and re-enabling dictation to see if that will allow you to re-initialize the feature.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no change; the microphone icon does not appear when i double click the fn button

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so I am able to reproduce the issue you are explaining by muting my internal microphone. I hope this is your problem as well. Please do the following:

1) Go back to System Preferences (Apple icon -> System Preferences)
2) Click on "Sound"
3) Click on the "Input" tab
4) You will hopefully see your microphone listed there with a volume slider. Slide the volume all the way to the right to turn the microphone up all the way.
5) Once the volume is up, double-tap your shortcut button for Dictation again and see if that works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

unfortunately it was set up ok and working. I am thinking mackeeper must have deleted some files that effect it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

or could it be the use of as this is routing my internet and filtering sites

Yes, thanks for that info. That is likely the problem rather than mackeeper. Dictation connects to the following DNS entries as dictation uses the following servers:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you know how I can add the apple server to make sure the dictation app can connect.
You can normally add them under Apple -> Settings -> Network -> Select your network connection -> Advanced -> DNS, but if you are using (which I am not familiar with from a configuration perspective), I suspect you would require some additional configuration there as well.