Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience

i forgot my ipad password, following instruction, i connected

i forgot my ipad password, following instruction, i connected it to my imac and started itunes to reset to factory settings. however i get a message box stating that bc of the pword lock itunes can't open and it {ipad} doesnt appear in my! thx
Thank you for the question. If you have not synched your iPad with the computer you are plugging it in to before, you can remove the passcode lock, but will lose your data. In order to remove the passcode and restore to factory settings, you can do the following:

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the device, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.
  2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.
  3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.
  4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears, release the Home button.
  5. iTunes should alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then click Restore to restore the device.