Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience
8287049

my ipod has a lock on it...which Ive never seen before. I

my ipod has a lock on it...which I've never seen before. I can't do anything....like play. It is an Ipod "classic" I believe - had it for a couple of years and never seen this...I don't know how to unlock it. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 1 year ago.

Is this the ipod touch model?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

Can you press and hold both the Power button and the Home button together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit, then check?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing labelled "power" and "home" so which exactly do you mean?

What's the model of your ipad? Please see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353. Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not an ipad....an ipod

Sorry, you wrote ipod previously. Please click on the images bellow for the two buttons:
graphic

Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I wrote Ipod...it is an Ipod not an Ipad. your image above is an Ipad.....I need help with Ipod...which is what I have originally said.

Sorry, if you have the ipod touch model, then the buttons are similar location for both ipad and ipod.

If not, what's the exact model of your ipod?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is an Ipod Classic 120GB

Can you put the ipod on a flat surface, i.e. a table, and press and hold the Menu and Center/selection button for about 10 seconds and check?

If that does no work, can you hold the 3 buttons: play, pause, and menu buttons at the same time?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing worked....and it is fully charged as well (FYI)

Did you press & hold those buttons?

Does it give any option to unlock? Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I pressed and held the buttons and it is just a dark blank screen. I went to the dock to see if it showed unlock (because when I put it on the dock it lights up)...but the lock is still one.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
You can try removing the lock file manually by connecting the device to your computer. Are you using a Mac or a PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PC

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Great! In that case, this video should take care of your problem. Please let me know what you find. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After I click on my ipod there is nothing after that per video instructions. It says to click on tools but there is no tools after I click on my ipod.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
The Tools folder is the menu option at the top of the screen, rather than a folder on your iPod. Which version of Windows are you using? This part may be a little different depending on the version.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I looked at the menu and there was no option for tools. I'm just going to be done with this. My patience has run out and I was hoping it would be a quick fix.

Thanks for your time.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
I apologize. I stepped in when the original expert you were working with opted out. This will be a quick fix if we can just enable the hidden files. If you can tell me what operating system you are using this will be quick (ie - Windows 7, Windows XP, Vista, etc...). Or I can set up a remote desktop session where I can control your screen and do it for you. We are heading in the right direction now, we just need to complete the steps and you should be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

windows 7

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So instead of clicking Tools, click "Organize" on the top left, then select "Folder and Search Options". From there, click "View", then enable the "Show Hidden Files" option. Then you should see the folders needed to complete the steps. Thanks again for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I definately got further this time but after I clicked on "devices" there was not file that said "ipod_locked" or anthing similar. Just alarm, clock, preferences, sys info. I clicked on all of these to see if it wsz in there and it isn't

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Can you try right-clicking on a blank spot in that folder and clicking New -> Text Document. Call it _locked and then eject the device. Plug it back in, go to the folder, and rename the file to _unlocked and eject it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tried that and it still did not work. Thanks anyway, but I have to go pick up my daughter from school now. I'll just leave it.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'm sorry we couldn't get this sorted. If you want to come back and give it another go I'll be here. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got back and was going to go through the process you recommended last and when I went to connect ipod I see that it unlocked. SOOOO what you said did it! Thanks for your help....wonder why it locked to begin with?

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
I am very glad to hear that. If you did not lock it on purpose, it is likely that it was done by pressing the wrong key combinations (ie - it was in your pocket and rubbed just the right buttons). It's hard to say for sure, but I'm glad the issue is resolved!

Please rate my service using one of the faces below. I would appreciate "OK Service" or higher if you were satisfied. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well this is strange because it unlocked and then I put it on the dock(which is a Yamaha one attached to our stereo system) and after a couple of songs I went to forward and it is locked again! weird. I'll go through your steps again, but could it have something to do with the stereo? it has never done this before and I've had it for year.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
That's interesting. It could be something the stereo is doing, but if it has worked for a year it could be something going on with the iPod instead. What I would suggest is that after the device has been unlocked, power it off completely and then turn it back on. Make sure it is still unlocked and then try playing it on the stereo again.
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: 10+ years in hardware/software experience