Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience

My Mac e-mail receives mail but suddenly wont send mail -

My Mac e-mail receives mail but suddenly won't send mail - My address [email protected] and it has worked for years - now I see that the outgoing servers are listed as offline and I have no idea how to find out why.

I have a new iMac running Mountain LION. Can younhelpme?

Jim Rawls
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Goto Mailbox menu and select Take All Accounts Online

Does that works ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO -I tried that first but all accounts are on line - I looked at the connection doctor and it shows yahoo.pop as connected but no connection for bellsouth. net

Can you delete the account and add it back ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have done that - it still shows the bell servers as offline= ???

What is your incoming and outgoing server ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

incoming server is

outgoing server is

Change the outgoing server to

Does that works ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you ask your ISP whether the problem is on their end or not ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have no idea how to call them or contact them - there is no number that I can find on the bellsouth or Att web sites - I am totally at a loss on this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,No one seems to be able to help me with this problem - AT&T says it is probably Apple's problem because of an update to their OS about two or so weeks ago. MacMail goes through Bellsouth to AT&T and they use
Yahoo's servers so no one will take credit foe messing it up.
What is the outgoing port of your Mail ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you please all these (available) settings are correct on your Mac Mail ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All the settings are correct as you list them.

AT&T told me the server settings have been changed to:

I tried these and they do not work either.

Do you have another User account on your Mac ? If so, can you try Mail in that account.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have and I did and they don't send mail either.

I'm getting out of ideas. Can you remove the slash after .net and try again ? ie.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have already tried that. I have had iMacs for 12 years and know a great deal about what they will and will not do, but this has me completely buffaloed. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the problem is with AT&T but they will never admit to anything.

All the settings are correct and I just don't understand why it is not working. Does this happens with iMac or with all other devices ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Only since yesterday with MacMail

I believe the problem is with AT&T and not with your Mac. I will opt out and send this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can wait. I do believe that either the update from Apple screwed this up or a recent change that AT&T made did it, but neither will admit it.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Have you tried a basic connectivity test to make sure your system can resolve the AT&T mail servers? Please try the following:

1) Open a terminal window
2) Type ping
3) Type ping

Make sure you get response back with a host name and IP address back. If not, we'll need to find out why your system cannot get to the servers (I verified mine can). Otherwise, you may want to try using the IP address instead of the host name in your mail configuration.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not know how to 'open a terminal window"

I went to utilities and double clicked the terminal icon.I typed in

ping Nothing happened.

Yes, that is the terminal. Once you type ping, press enter and copy/paste me the output.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the terminal window is printing out a list of numbers but I have no idea how to send this to you other than capturing it and sending it to you via e-mail which my Mac refuses to do. HOW DOES ONE COPY/PASTE?

You can copy by highlighting the text and holding the CMD key and pressing C on your keyboard. You can paste by holding CMD and pressing V.

I assume it is printing out a response like this:

Pinging [] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51
Reply from bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=51
Reply from bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=51

Pinging [] with 32 bytes of data
Reply from bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=52
Reply from bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=50
Reply from bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=52

If so,that is a good sign which means your machine can communicate with the server. I would recommend trying to set the value in your email configuration instead of to see if that makes a difference.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that doesn't work for me.

the terminal now reads:

ping ( 56 data bytes

64 bytes from icml_seq=1 ttl=47 time=34.948 sec

Is the behavior the same when you use the outbound IP address in your mail configuration? Does it still tell you that the server is offline?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I assume that is the outbound IP address.

It still says the server is offline

The only thing I can suggest doing at this point is changing your account password XXXXX see if that can force the server to refresh your credentials and allow you to send mail again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The very strange thing is that I can send e-mail by going to the att mail

window and using the same account as always and.the same password XXXXX just won't work on MacMail outgoing. I really believe it is a problem with Apple's last update to Mountain Lion; that's when this mess started. I run Lion at home and have no problems with MacMail.

I agree. The issue seems with the way your Mac is storing your server info and user credentials. That's why I was suggesting to change the password XXXXX this is what AT&T is recommending for this problem as well.
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: 10+ years in hardware/software experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My problem has not been solved and no-one seems to be able to get to the bottom of this.