Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience

My Mac e-mail receives mail but suddenly wont send mail -

My Mac e-mail receives mail but suddenly won't send mail - My address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and it has worked for years - now I see that the bellsouth.net outgoing servers are listed as offline and I have no idea how to find out why.

I have a new iMac running Mountain LION. Can younhelpme?

Jim Rawls jrpalam#bellsouth.net
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Goto Mailbox menu and select Take All Accounts Online

Does that works ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO -I tried that first but all accounts are on line - I looked at the connection doctor and it shows yahoo.pop as connected but no connection for bellsouth. net

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you delete the account and add it back ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done that - it still shows the bell south.net servers as offline= ???

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What is your incoming and outgoing server ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

incoming server is imap.mail.yahoo.com

outgoing server is bellsouth.net

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Change the outgoing server to smtp.att.yahoo.com

Does that works ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you ask your ISP whether the problem is on their end or not ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea how to call them or contact them - there is no number that I can find on the bellsouth or Att web sites - I am totally at a loss on this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,No one seems to be able to help me with this problem - AT&T says it is probably Apple's problem because of an update to their OS about two or so weeks ago. MacMail goes through Bellsouth to AT&T and they use
Yahoo's servers so no one will take credit foe messing it up.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What is the outgoing port of your Mail ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

465

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you please all these (available) settings are correct on your Mac Mail ?

• Email address: username@bellsouth.net
  • Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.att.yahoo.com
  • Incoming mail server SSL: enabled
  • Incoming mail port: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.att.yahoo.com
  • Outgoing mail server SSL: enabled
  • Outgoing mail port: 465
  • Username: your username
  • Password: your password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the settings are correct as you list them.

AT&T told me the server settings have been changed to:

incoming: inbound.att.net/

outgoing: outbound.att.net/

I tried these and they do not work either.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have another User account on your Mac ? If so, can you try Mail in that account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have and I did and they don't send mail either.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting out of ideas. Can you remove the slash after .net and try again ? ie.

outgoing: outbound.att.net

incoming: inbound.att.net

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already tried that. I have had iMacs for 12 years and know a great deal about what they will and will not do, but this has me completely buffaloed. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the problem is with AT&T but they will never admit to anything.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
All the settings are correct and I just don't understand why it is not working. Does this happens with iMac or with all other devices ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only since yesterday with MacMail

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I believe the problem is with AT&T and not with your Mac. I will opt out and send this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can wait. I do believe that either the update from Apple screwed this up or a recent change that AT&T made did it, but neither will admit it.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried a basic connectivity test to make sure your system can resolve the AT&T mail servers? Please try the following:

1) Open a terminal window
2) Type ping inbound.att.net
3) Type ping outbound.att.net

Make sure you get response back with a host name and IP address back. If not, we'll need to find out why your system cannot get to the servers (I verified mine can). Otherwise, you may want to try using the IP address instead of the host name in your mail configuration.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not know how to 'open a terminal window"

I went to utilities and double clicked the terminal icon.I typed in

ping inbound.att.net. Nothing happened.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is the terminal. Once you type ping inbound.att.net, press enter and copy/paste me the output.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the terminal window is printing out a list of numbers but I have no idea how to send this to you other than capturing it and sending it to you via e-mail which my Mac refuses to do. HOW DOES ONE COPY/PASTE?

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
You can copy by highlighting the text and holding the CMD key and pressing C on your keyboard. You can paste by holding CMD and pressing V.

I assume it is printing out a response like this:

>ping outbound.att.net

Pinging smtp.att.mail.fy4.b.yahoo.com [98.138.84.52] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 98.138.84.52: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.138.84.52: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.138.84.52: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=51

>ping inbound.att.net

Pinging pop-att-new.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [98.139.213.175] with 32 bytes of data
:
Reply from 98.139.213.175: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=52
Reply from 98.139.213.175: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=50
Reply from 98.139.213.175: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=52

If so,that is a good sign which means your machine can communicate with the server. I would recommend trying to set the value 98.138.84.52 in your email configuration instead of outbound.att.net to see if that makes a difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that doesn't work for me.

the terminal now reads:

ping smtp.att.mail.fy4.yahoo.com (68.142.198.51): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 68.142.198.51: icml_seq=1 ttl=47 time=34.948 sec

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Is the behavior the same when you use the outbound IP address in your mail configuration? Does it still tell you that the server is offline?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume that 68.142.198.51 is the outbound IP address.

It still says the server is offline

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I can suggest doing at this point is changing your account password XXXXX see if that can force the server to refresh your credentials and allow you to send mail again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The very strange thing is that I can send e-mail by going to the att mail

window and using the same account as always and.the same password XXXXX just won't work on MacMail outgoing. I really believe it is a problem with Apple's last update to Mountain Lion; that's when this mess started. I run Lion at home and have no problems with MacMail.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
I agree. The issue seems with the way your Mac is storing your server info and user credentials. That's why I was suggesting to change the password XXXXX this is what AT&T is recommending for this problem as well.
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: 10+ years in hardware/software experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My problem has not been solved and no-one seems to be able to get to the bottom of this.