Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

I tried updating my iPhone 4 and now it won't work

I tried updating my iPhone 4 and now it won't work. I have already tried uplugging the usb cord and plugging it back in.

You will have to restore the iPhone to a base firmware install, which will erase everything on the iPhone, but you can later restore the contents of the iPhone to a backup that you have on the computer (the same computer you used in the past to sync the phone with):
- Press and hold the top power button until the iPhone turns off
- Connect the iPhone to the computer that you have been using the phone and iTunes with
- Hold down the HOME button on the front while pressing the Power button (continue holding the home button)
- Continue to hold the HOME button until you see the "Connected to iTunes" message
- In the Summary tab, click Restore and follow the prompts. (THIS WILL ERASE everything on the iPhone and make it just as it was when you first purchased the phone).
- Once that is complete, right click the iPhone listing in the left panel of the iTunes window
- Choose "Restore from Backup"
- Choose a backup date and restore.

Now your iPhone will be back up and have all the restored information from your last sync.

Please, keep me updated on the status of your problem if there are any further issues. I will be available to respond.