Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

I have my photocard in the printer after improperly removing

I have my photocard in the printer after improperly removing it, as I could not find the eject function on my Mac OS X. Now the card's icon - a Lexar icon - does not appear in the finder, either. I want to safely remove the card but fear damage. What can be done?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

if you go to Macintosh HD-->Applications-->Utilities-->Disk Utility

Steve Herrod :

does it show the Lexar there?

Steve Herrod :

Also, what is the make and model of the printer it is connected to?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

No. The printer is a HP photosmart 7760.

Customer:

This morning an Image Capture page appeared with the Lexar icon appearing on that. Next to it is a pie chart symbol.

Steve Herrod :

thanks - did that appear directly on the HP Photosmart or the Mac?

Customer:

It appeared on the Mac.

Steve Herrod :

thanks - I forgot to ask earlier but has the Mac been restarted?

Customer:

I should also tell you that the Lexar icon also appeared in the Finder window on the Mac this morning again. Back on the Image Capture page there was a symbol next to the Lexar icon that I thought might be the ejector symbol I had been looking for, and it was when I clicked on that that ,the pie symbol appeared and the window read "no camera or scanner detected"

Customer:

then the icon disappeared from the Finder window. No, I never restarted the Mac

Steve Herrod :

ok - as long as it's still connected there is no risk to the drive

Steve Herrod :

can a restart be tried?

Customer:

Sure. I will go ahead with that.

Customer:

Do I need to close this chat before doing that? Won't that be seen as a completed service?

Steve Herrod :

no - it's only completed when the service is rated

Steve Herrod :

if you add this to your bookmarks/favorites

Steve Herrod :

you can come back after restarting

Customer:

OK. I need to leave for work, so I will have to return to this chat later. Meanwhile, I will do the restart.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I am back and have restarted the computer. Lexar appears in the finder and im the Image Capture window.

Thabks. So after restarting you can access the Lexar directly from the Finder again?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, but I don't want the same problem to happen again. So I rt-click on the pyramid symbol to the right of LEXAR and simply remove the card?

Yes, right click and you should be able to eject the card without any problem

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, once again, a warning window appeared telling me that I improperly ejected my card and am supposed to go to file > eject to do it. But when I click on "eject" there, (which is gray, not high-lighted) the whole "file" thing disappears.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm wondering if this could be a slight compatibility glitch - can you let me know the full OSX version installed?

If you go to the Apple menu and choose About this Mac it should be listed there.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

10.6.8

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks - just checking that and will update you asap

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you

No problem!
Hi Jennifer,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - there do appear to be a few reports of issues with a similar setup.

One thing I wanted to check though was whether the card ejects properly if you drag the icon to the trash? That's an alternative method which seems to work better for some people. It doesn't delete/remove any contents.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here is a stupid question. The card does not physically eject, does it? I have always had to pull the card out from engagement in the printer.

Hi Jennifer,

It's not a stupid question at all - the card itself won't physically eject. If you drag it to the trash that should make the Mac OS 'eject' it from it's filesystem so it can then be removed from the printer.

Once reinserted the Mac OS should reattach it and show the icon on the Desktop etc.

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sheesh! It won't let me take it to the trash. Or at least the icon continues to appear in the finder window.

Thanks Jennifer, can you create a new user?

If you go to the Apple menu and choose System Preferences-->Users you can add a new user there by selecting the + button.

Once you have added a new administrative user, if you restart and login as the new user do you get the same issue with the Lexar?

This would just be a test as it could help narrow down the issue. Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I am trying that.

Ok - let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have the same problem. I am noticing a Lexar icon on the screen as well now.

Hi Jennifer,

Have just double checked and HP confirm this is the procedure to remove the memory card

1 With the memory card still inserted in the printer, drag the memory card
icon from the desktop to the Trash.
2 Wait until the memory card light stops blinking, then remove the memory
card from the printer’s memory card slot.

When dragging the icon to the trash, does the trash icon change to an eject icon?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the icon turned to an eject icon as I dragged it to the trash. The memory card wasn't blinking before I did that, but I removed the card, anyway. The warning window did not appear, so hopefully everything is good. We must have performed some update or app change some time ago that changed the process for using the memory card, because we used to be fine just clicking on the eject sign in the finder. Or I am out to lunch on that.

Anyway it appears that you have answered the question with great patience

Hi Jennifer,

No problem - glad we seem to be there now. Please let me know if you need anything at all and if you can rate the service that will let us know how we are doing.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software