Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I turned on my computer and get nothing but a white screen.

I turned on my computer and get nothing but a white screen. Turning it off and on again results in the same thing.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try this:
Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The computer restarted after I held down the keys, but still came back up with a white screen.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK do you know what system version you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, no. It is a desktop unit which has the computer in the monitor. Was purchased about 1.5 to 2 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok.

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cant find disc, but while I was looking, the screen turned blue, then the system just came back on line.... weird. Any ideas if this will happen again?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

version is 10.6.2

verifying the hard drive it gave me an error: this disk needs to be repaired .... then use Disk Utility to repair this disk. It wants me to start up my computer wiht another disk (such as my Mac OS X installation disc) then use Disk Utility to repair. But as I stated, cant find that disk. What now?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a backup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, I have a disc that is for my lap top which says "13-inch macbook pro" Mac OS X install DVD

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I highly suggest you have a backup before trying this or any disk repair, either with the original system disk or using this method. Use the disk if it says 10.6 on it or go to link below and download Applejack open and install, then restart and hold Command and S keys. When you get to the command prompt type

applejack auto restart

then hit Return.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15667/applejack

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ran applejack which seemed to process fine. Then went back and did another verify disk and it still tells me thant I have an invalid directory item count (it should be 32 instead of 31) and that the volume macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired. wants me to instal utility disk again. Should I just run applejack again?

the other disk was a leopard disc which the computer said I could not use on this machine.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You can try but if the Applejack will not fix it there is still a chance, though not a guarantee that a third party utility like Disk Warrior might be able to repair it but you would need another mac to use the download or you will need to get the boot disk shipped to you before you can try it. Otherwise you will have to reformat the drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I get a back up disk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I get a back up disk?

Ran applejack a second time, now the disk check comes up green. Then ran permissions and that seemed to go fine. Thanks so much for your help. reply so I can get you rated and paid!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry, thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.