Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

RA RR

Customer Question

I have lost the ability to send emails from my gmail account on my iMac; however, I can send them from my iPhone and my iPad. My SMTP server on my iMac appears to be offline. How can I restore it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Chris :

Hello. Have you tried to remove the email account from your iMac and then add it back?

JACUSTOMER-x2e9lyd3- : I don't know how to do that.
JACUSTOMER-x2e9lyd3- :

OK, I found a way to do that and I was never able to connect to the smtp server . . . same problem I have been experiencing.

JACUSTOMER-x2e9lyd3- :

You've been offline since you asked me a question at 11:04 p.m. If you can't help me, please connect me with someone who can.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Thanks a lot for posting your query here. I am Jins here to assist you.
  1. Open Mail.
  2. Choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
  3. Click Accounts in the Preferences window.
  4. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window if you have more than one account.
  5. Click the Account Information pane.
  6. Ensure that the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu is not set to "None". If it is, select your server from the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu if it appears.
  7. Test for the issue.

If it not helps, please check this tutorial and configure your Gmail account correctly on your apple mail.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I told you in the beginning that I had tried the OS diagnostics . . . Same as the tutorial you mention. It does not help. I need further assistance.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.
Were any internet security programs installed recently? Firewalls, antivirus, anything that would be blocking it? Also have you double checked to make sure the outgoing server is still correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing added and I checked
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.
I am going to leave this open for someone else to chime in since I am not as familiar with Mac as I am Windows. Just try to think about what has recently changed on the computer because it has to be the Mac since other devices are fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have now lost Inbox view of incoming email.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need help with this. Please keep looking.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Hi, Sorry for the delay in reply. Please try following fixes.

From inside the Mail.app, click the Mailbox menu (see Figure 1):
  1. Choose "take all accounts offline", and wait 10 seconds.
  2. Choose "take all accounts online".

You should begin seeing your new mail flow into your inbox.

If it not helps, From the Finder. Hold down the option key and select Go from the menu>select Library. Then Preferences folder. Move the file com.apple.mail.plist to the Trash. Then relaunch Mail.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried the first fix. It didn't work. My new mail did not appear. So I tried the second fix and did not find a file named com.apple.mail.plist in the Preferences folder. There was one named com.apple.MailMigratorService.plist. Since it was the only one with Mail in the title, I moved it to the Trash and relaunched Mail. It had no effect. (I put that file back in Preferences since I didn't know what it was.) Any other ideas?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just looked at the Library folder again. There is a folder titled Mail and inside the folder are 2 files and another folder: The first file is titled SyncedFilesInfo.plist and the second file is titled SyncedRules.plist. The folder is titled V2. Could one of those files be the one you were thinking of?

Okay then please look in Your-username/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences folder. Now launch apple mail app and configure your account as new, then try again to send/receive mails.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where do I find that folder?
  1. Open the Finder
  2. Go to the Menu Bar and open the "Go" menu.
  3. Select the entry: "Go to Folder..."
  4. Enter the path of the Preferences Folder:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I opened that folder and launched Mail, but I don't know how to configure my account as new. I trièdre usine Add Accountedge and goût an error message saying "The account Gmail already has this host name and user name."
Okay, please check this tutorial and try to configure the account as explained.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Afraid it didn't work. I appreciate your efforts, but I can't spend any more time trying things. Would like to end this exchange and get my money back. Please credit my PayPal account.
Okay, please contact[email protected] for the refund. Anyway sorry for this time, remember us when you need any assistance again.

Regards
Jins