John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

ijust bought an iphone 5 I had an iphone 3s prior to this. I

Customer Question

ijust bought an iphone 5
I had an iphone 3s prior to this.
I was told at the AT andT store to sync my ipne 3 and then sync the 5 and all would be good.
As usual Apple has some proprietory stuff going on.
I was told to download itunes 10.7dmg.
I did this , but then was told i could not do this because I did not have Mac OSX version 10.6.8 on my Mac cpmputer.
I am frustrated and irritated.
Do I have to buy new software or a new computer to sync my new phone
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is John, a self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ihave no idea.

How do I find out

Okay, Jonathan.

Click the Apple logo in the top left of the screen and choose "About This Mac". There should be a version number listed there.

Please provide that number.

Additionally, please click the version number and it should change to a different number. Keep clicking until you see the serial number and provide that as well, if possible.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mac osx version10.5.8

Is this an iMac 20-Inch, early 2009 model?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think so, but am not sure

It is indeed true that you must be running OS X 10.6.8 or later to install the latest release of iTunes. In turn, you must have the newest iTunes in order to sync your iPhone 5.

Going from OS X 10.5.x to OS X 10.6.x is a paid upgrade. It is no longer officially sold in stores but most customers have been able to get it via telephone.

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) and tell them you want the Snow Leopard upgrade which they can send on CD for around $20 USD shipped.

Once you have the disc, the upgrade process is fairly simple. After the install, keep running System Preferences > Software Update until no more updates are offered and you should get iTunes 10.7 in the process.

From that point, syncing your iPhones should go smoothly.

As a side note: your Mac is upgradable to the latest version of OS X, 10.8 "Mountain Lion", which is available as a download BUT you must have OS X 10.6.8 installed first. You may wish to do this second upgrade so that your iMac can take advantage of iCloud syncing with your iPhone 5.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.