Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Im trying to close and save a document Ive been working on

I'm trying to close and save a document I've been working on and I can't. I get a box that says "The disk is full trying to write to Macintosh HD. Free some space on this drive or save the document on another disk."

I've tried but can't save it on another disk.

Can you tell me how ?

Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What program is is? So you tried Save As and then navigate to the USB drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I've tried that and also to a cd. I was opening and closing it earlier with no problem.

It is a template that I purchased yesterday and I've been working on it. I believe it in word and I have it on my desk top.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Version 10.6.8

Processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory - 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Do you have more than one USB stick have you tried another?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You want me to? I tried a CD also and didn't work.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
A CD won't work it has to be saved somewhere esle first to do that. Please try another USB stick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried two more drives and no go.

Do I have to go and buy a new

one ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No I doubt it is the USB drives at this point. Quit all programs except the program you are trying to save, which is what again? Then:

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure where the "Dock" in the Finder is ... I don't see it.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
The icons at the bottom of your screen is called the Dock:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry .. I was looking on top and forgot about the icons down below.

Do I need to turn off the internet also ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
no
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's repairing with an 18 minute time to repair.

What do I do once it's done ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Repair Disk or Repair Permissions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

permissions

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Was Verify Disk OK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, verify disk was ok.

It said there was a permissions problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
That's ok did it finish?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not yet ... still says 18 minutes.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK hold Control key and click on Macintosh HD, go to Get Info what is listed next to Capacity and Available?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On the table where the repair was going on it says 399.13 GB available and 499.76 GB capacity. Is that what you wanted ?

I think it's done now ... it stopped.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Does it say finished?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope, but the timeline with the 18 minutes is gone.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try again please, quit and open again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Try what again ?

It doesn't have the "quit permissions repair" showing any longer.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Quit Disk Utility
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I try to save the document now ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You can, but I wanted you to try Repair Permissions again. Can you send me the file?

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: pearl
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It won't send you my updated file because I can't close the document. It won't be the one I have on the screen.

Should we try and repair the permissions again ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes I meant the original template file, try Repair again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shall I click on the Macintosh HD or the numbers with Hitachi right above it?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Macintosh HD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did it again and it says appears that the volume MacIntosh HD seems to be ok.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes but that is Verify Disk Not Repair Permissions. We already did that one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What should I do now ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Repair Permissions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok ... now it says 10 minutes.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK now make a new document in Word and try to save it on the Desktop. Let the Repair go for now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just make up a document to test it or try the one I want to save?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No.... new document
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The old document is open and keeps popping up.

It also says that auto-recovery isn't able to save it ....

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So you go to Word / File / New and it won't let you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I saved it to desktop.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK now highlight all the copy in the file you can't save and paste into that document and save it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did and I can't save it. It says the disk is full trying to write to Macintosh HD.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try the USB stick Save As.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did and it didn't work.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK open Text Edit and try to paste it there and save it we are going to have to force Quit Word and lose that copy so you need to save it somewhere
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where do I find text edit ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Applications folder
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, it's in there. How do I save it there?

What next ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Open it and create a new document then copy the text from the Word document and paste it into the TexttEdit document and save it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok ... done and saved to my documents.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok go to the Apple Logo to Force Quite and choose Word. Then restart the computer, and go to Macintosh HD / Users / yourusername / Library / Preferences drag com.microsoft.word.plist to the trash then open Word. Go to Help / Check for Updates.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there a good way to contact you if I need to ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Of course we are not done.... bookmark this page please.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Just making sure you find your way back here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm back ...

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok did you do all of that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes .... what now?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No updates? Send me the last saved version of the document:

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: pearl
password: macmedic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok it's sent ....

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I meant the last saved Word version and also the template you downloaded.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, the issue is that there is confidential information on it and we really don't want the document floating around.

Why do you need it? is it really necessary ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok I resaved it as Word go back and download it then I will delete it. BPlan.docx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So you have it ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I have what you sent go to:

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic

Download BPLan.docx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks ... please delete it.

Will I have the same problem with it again ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I am waiting for you to try it, file is deleted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It opens and closes but the format seems to be off.

Some of the borders are out of line.

It must be the format. Any suggestions ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
That is becasue you didn't send me the Word document... I converted it from TexEdit. Did you try opening the old Word file you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I opened the old word file but I'll have to update it again. It doesn't have the latest edits on it, and there was a few.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Right you can get that from the TextEdit document we saved but can you now save the Word file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes ... I can save the word document.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK then you can get the missing copy from the TextEdit document and you should be good.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.