James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I recently had a disk crash. The local MAC service department

I recently had a disk crash. The local MAC service department was able to save user data but not applications. I have reinstalled (and updated) Macintosh Office including Entourage, but have lost my Address Book in the process. How do I go about retrieving these addresses and address lists, presumably from an exchange server??

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

David Lambert
Hi David, who is your email provider please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Comcast

So you have a @comcast.net email address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
[email protected]
Can I get just the part after the @ sign please? Otherwise our system deletes the whole thing for privacy.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

comcast.net

David, in this case there is no Exchange server, and the contacts cannot be restord.
I can help you re-create the account, but not the contacts. Would you like that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't need to re-create my account, since I am able to send, receive, reply and forward using my existing accounts. Are you sure there is no way to retrieve/restore my contacts???

I'm afraid not - the contacts are only on your computer, and not anywhere else. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Too bad, but thanks for the information. All I know is that my daughter recently lost all her contacts (on a PC probably with another email application) but was able to retrieve them via a server. Oh well.

No, there is nothing else that you can help me with right now.

Thanks for your advice.

That makes sense - I believe she was working for a company or organization who provided her with Exchange services. This method of running an email service does keep everything centrally on the server, and does allow restoration of the address books in case of corruption or loss.
Regretfully, Comcast does not use this method and relies on the users to store the information.

Glad I could at least explain things. I would very much appreciate it if you can rate me using the faces below.

Thanks!