Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.

My iMac has locked up & force quit does not work. Anything

My iMac has locked up & force quit does not work. Anything else I can try?

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Press and Hold the power button for 10 secs until unit powers off.

Appleologist :

It is safe force shut down

Appleologist :

If that does not work, Let me know so we can try other options

Customer: I've shut it down by holding the button for 10 seconds. Should I turn the power back on now?
Appleologist :

Yes but we will need to reset the PRAM first

1.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

Customer: Still locked up
Appleologist :

Where is it locked up at? Does it load to your desktop or stuck on the apple logo ?

Customer: Desktop appears completely and a Skype box appears saying there's more than one version running but nothing responds. Drop down menus don't work, you can't open anything, etc
Appleologist :

Have you received a storage warning that your start up disk is almost full in the past?

Customer: Never, and there is an external hard drive hooked up to it that somehow backs things up automatically.
Appleologist :

What operating system are you running?

Customer: OS 10. I think 5. Something. I can't remember and haven't looked in a long time
Appleologist :

Its ok. We may or may not need the installation disk. We are first going to try to isolation your issue by fist removing all peripheral devices. Can you force shut down your computer and disconnect your external hard drive and other connected devices. Then power back on your machine

Customer: It's working mow! I don't know what I did
Appleologist :

there may be an issue with your external drive. How old is your drive?

Appleologist :

You can go ahead and restart your computer again just to make sure your issue is resolved

Appleologist :

If you are satisfied, you can go ahead and accept my answer and end the Chat. You can also get back to me anytime you want even after rating at the rest of your day :)