Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience

Hello. I share an iphone account with my husband. icloud too.

Hello. I share an iphone account with my husband. icloud too. He upgraded to ios6 a week ago. I just did it yesterday. Our contacts have merged (I understand why and what to do). At the end of the process, I clicked ok on a screen with a bunch of checkmarks. The bottom said that any outgoing texts and email would come from my phone number. I didn't want to delete his email addresses or phone numbers, but the resulting problem is that when we send each other text messages, we both get the message. How do I fix the crosswired messaging and email trouble?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the question. It is not surprising this is happening if you share accounts.

It sounds like you have iMessage enabled and are set up to send/receive from the same accounts. iMessage allows you to receive text messages at any email address(es) you have registered with your Apple ID.

You can manage this setting by tapping Settings -> Messages -> and then tap "Send & Receive". This option will show all the addresses your iPhone is configured to send/receive messages through iMessage. If you are using iMessage and linked to the same account, you may want to turn it off so that you do not receive iMessages on both phones. You can do this by going to Settings -> Messages, and set iMessage to OFF.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Re: the list of the email addresses and phone numbers I am seeing after tapping send & receive: that's the list I ok'd that I was uncertain of at the end of the setup process. Thanks for telling me where that is.

Will checking/unchecking the phone numbers/email only apply to my phone and not affect my husband's?

Can you tell me if this was all related to iCloud or the IOS6 update? I clearly need to learn some about how my phone works. Will the problem with receiving messages on both phones continue if we have imessaging turned on? It was never an issue before.

I'm asking you now instead of just trying and seeing, because I'd like to have the problem solved instead of further annoying my husband. He got very crabby over it.

ALSO!! In the list of send and receive, there is an arrow next to each email address. If I tap the arrow, it gives me an option to remove that email address. Should I do that? I know that one that's linked to the apple account. What happens if I remove the others?

Unchecking the options on your phone will affect both devices. You may both want to just have your phone number listed under the "Send & Receive" settings if you are sharing accounts, which will prevent you from getting each others texts. Otherwise, you will need to set up a new account in order for his settings to remain, and re-configure your phone to use the new account.

As for the question on why this happened, the iMessage feature was added to iOS5.1, so if you were not yet at this version, upgrading to iOS6 would have introduced this feature and explains the problem you are having.

I am just checking in to see how things are going after upgrading to iOS6. If you need help with anything or decide to set up a new account to use on your phone, please let me know and I will be happy to assist. Thanks!