Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

RA - CE

Customer Question

i left my iphone 4s downloading the new software update last night, woke up and tried using it but my screen was showing that i must plug my phone into itunes , once i did however it prompted me to restore my phone as it was reading it as being in recovery mode, i cannot loose some of the priceless family pictures i have in there, how can i restore without loosing my pictures?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question. This happened to me too, and I was worried about losing my photos. If the phone is in recovery mode, you will need to restore the device to the factory settings. Once you do this, it will ask you if you want to set up a new phone, or use an iCloud backup. If you have an iCloud backup, you can restore from that which will load all your pictures back.

If you do not have an iCloud backup, you can download TinyUmbrella and try kicking the iPhone out of recovery mode and connecting it to your computer. It should then recognize the pictures even if the device is still telling you to connect to iTunes. Click here for TinyUmbrella and the download links for Windows and Mac are on the right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well i downloaded that and it only put a free dowloadre icon on my desktop and a pc maximizer icon its not reading anything from my iphone

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you clicked another download on the page. If you click the link I sent you, you need to click the link on the right that says "TinyUmbrella [WIN]" if you are on Windows, or "TinyUmbrella [MAC]" if you are on a Mac. You can delete what is on your desktop and try the download again. If downloaded correctly, it should place an icon that looks like an Umbrella on your desktop, and you can use that to launch the program.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that thing says that page is now blocked for having malware and fraud stuff

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
TinyUmbrella is not malware and can safely be downloaded. I had the exact same problem as you when I updated to iOS6 and this solution worked for me. Once I used TinyUmbrella to get out of recovery mode, I could plug in to my computer and import my photos. After that, I restored to default settings and restored my iCloud backup which put the pictures back on my phone too.

You can try this link for the direct download for Windows.
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have some malware software that is running and blocking you from download an .exe file. I've zipped up the program and posted it on Wikisend. Please try downloading it by clicking here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no well once i go to the page to download that program , it prompts me to check a box that says i understand that by goin into that page my computer may be infected by malware and theres no way i would do that

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
I am going to opt out as using the software I recommended is the only way to recover your data.
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Since it is in recovery mode, there is no other option than to restore it.

Just before restoring, the computer itself will create a backup if your photos, contacts etc, so after the restore, you will have two options - set up as a new phone and restore from backup.

Click on restore from backup and it should bring back all your photos.

However, this depends on whether the photos are in your phone right now.

Let me know. Please don't rate my service before we have finished the conversation