Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

My iPad Froze During An Update. What Do I Do?

My iPad froze after trying to download the new update. Nothing works to unfreeze the screen. We have tried resetting the iPad. It will go back to the Apple sign on the screen even before we try to turn it back on. What can we do?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

If you have tried to reset the iPad by pressing both the sleep and home button at the same time, your iPad needs to be restored.

1. Open iTunes and connect your iPad to your computer via USB cable
  2. Press and hold the sleep and home button simultaneously for 30 secs
  3. Continue to press and hold until a “cable and iTunes logo appears”

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Customer :

After the update it asked me to connect to iTunes and while doing so it said it needed to restore. During the restore it said there was an error. Does this make a difference? Now it doesn't recognize the device

Appleologist :

The instructions I have given you places the iPad into DFU mode. After a restore fails normally, I recommend placing the iPad into DFU mode and trying again

Customer :

OK. No problem. Will give this a try. Thanks. Give us a minute.

Appleologist :

If it fails again, see if it gives you an error code

Customer :

No cable symbol or iTunes symbol but no error code either, no response at all

Appleologist :

What is currently displaying on the iPad. If it is on, press and hold the sleep button to power it off. Make sure the iPad is still connected to your computer with iTunes. Then try to put it into recovery mode again by pressing the sleep and home button until you see the cable icon on your iPad

Customer :

The apple icon that was there constantly before is gone. The battery is low and it is charging so the charging symbol is showing now. It did not power off. No cable icon came on.

Appleologist :

Well we are making some progress. To see if your iPad is still in recovery mode, plug your iPad to the wall outlet instead. Your iPad needs to charge a little bit before booting up

Customer :

The apple is back

Appleologist :

Ok, allow it to boot up. Is it plugged into the wall?

Customer :

Yes it is now

Appleologist :

Ok, lets give your ipad 1 or 2 mins to either boot up or charge a little bit before we can put it back into recovery mode

Customer :

Still no change. Won't turn off, won't boot up, only an apple

Appleologist :

When you press and hold the sleep button for 40 secs (Located upper right corner) , it does not shut off?

Customer :

Nope

Appleologist :

Can you plug it back into itunes now and try pressing the sleep and home button again. Try holding them down longer than normal. Your iPad seems to be a little stubborn today

Customer :

We got it just now. Got the cable icon

Appleologist :

Ok great. Now in iTunes, can you hit restore

Customer :

Do we need to hold the sleep and home buttons like you said before

Appleologist :

If you already see the cable icon on your iPad, that means it is already in recovery mode. So all you need to do is to hit restore in iTunes

Customer :

Thanks, we should be good now. What if we get another error message?

Appleologist :

If you see an error message again, look out for an error code

Customer :

We got error code, 3194. It did the same thing as last time

Appleologist :

Are you using a mac or PC

Customer :

PC

Appleologist :

Ok, that error code happens when you are either behind on an update or you have security software that is preventing connection from iTunes to the server. What version of iTunes are you running?

Customer :

I will have to check. We will have to update that and that may take some time and we will need to check our security settings too. Thanks.

Appleologist :

Ok

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.