John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Help! Apple updates will download but not install. Also Itunes

Customer Question

Apple updates will download but not install.
Also Itunes account is fubar.
The email associated with this address has been discontinued and my wife has forgotten the password. We have tried updating but this also does not work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is John, a self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

First let's tackle the Apple ID issue. If you no longer have access to the old email address and you can't remember the password (and can't reset it because of the address) then there is nothing you can do from your side to correct the issue as no self service options are left here.

In this case, you will have to contact Apple via their Express Lane customer service feature to ask them to update your account details:

Choose the correct category and issue as prompted by the service above and you will eventually reach a web form where Apple promises to respond within 24 hours. If you need a suggestion for which support path to follow, try:
iTunes > iTunes Store > Account Management > Managing or editing iTunes Store Account > Email

Please note: I can give advice and information only, not successful access to your account. The responsibility of reactivating your account lays entirely between you and Apple due to security reasons.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question on the ID. If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What about the updates not updating on the computer?

Can you please provide more information on that?

What is your version of OS X (Click the Apple logo in the menubar and choose "About This Mac")?

What error do you receive when installtion of updates is attempted?

Excuse me but why have you rated with poor service? I provided accurate information for your first issue and you have not yet replied to my additional questions.