John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

A disc is jammed in my iMac how can I remove it

Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Was it improperly inserted or will it simply not eject?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I normally press eject before I insert a disc ,however this time I might have inserted to soon so there may be two disc,s inside

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Was the disc pulled in by the drive on it's own or did you have to force it in initially?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pulled in on it,s own

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Good, there is unlikely to be another disc in there then.

Restart the iMac, then immediately hold down the mouse button or trackpad button while the iMac is starting up, until the disc is ejected.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It ,s still stuck ,the motor did try to eject.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, this time try shutting the computer completely off and then repeating the procedure; immediately hold down the mouse button or trackpad button while the iMac is starting up, until the disc is hopefully ejected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same again.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,

in the Finder, click the Go menu in the menubar and choose Utilities

Locate Terminal and double-click to run it.

At the prompt, type:

drutil tray eject

and then press Return

Any luck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can't find return

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
That would be the Return key on your keyboard. It may be labeled as "enter" on some models.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no luck. the motor tried several times.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the specific model of iMac that you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

iMac 12,1

intel core i5

processor speed 2.5 Ghz 1 only

L2 cache ( per core )

L3 cache

memory 4 GB

Boot rom version 1m12.1 0047.BIE

SMC version ( system) 1.71f22

serial no ( system) C02H8b3gdhjf

HardwareUUID03813883-DCIB-5663-9AA9-CE8EBD$DBBFA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,

iMac 12,1

intel core i5

processor speed 2.5 Ghz     1 only

L2 cache ( per core )

L3 cache

memory 4 GB

Boot rom version 1m12.1 0047.BIE

SMC version ( system) 1.71f22

serial no ( system) C02H8b3gdhjf

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Chris.

Given the model and the fact that the other options provided have not ejected the disc, I think it's time to recommend that you take it to an Apple Store or an authorized repair center.

It's likely that any physical attempts to remove the disc may effect the drive itself if it is not malfunctioning already. I'm sorry there was no an easier answer in this case.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry