John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

my granddaughter dropped my ipad down 12 stairs onto tile floor.

my granddaughter dropped my ipad down 12 stairs onto tile floor. The screen is completely shattered, but the ipad itself still works. how or where do i go to fix the screen
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Which model of iPad is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

32gb4g

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Nancy.

Do you know whether this is an original iPad or an iPad 2 or 3?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is fairly new purchased in 2012 MD364ll/aipad wifi 4g 32 gb

does that help

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Nancy, thanks very much.

This looks to be a new iPad 3.

if you have cracked the screen this will not officially be covered under the normal limited warranty provided by Apple. It will only be $49 under AppleCare+ replacement service if you purchased that but if this is not the case you will need to pay normal repair costs.

NOTE: Apple sometimes offers a one-time courtesy (free) screen repair/replacement for iPads that are still under warranty. You would need to take the iPad to a local Apple Store and talk to a "Genius" there as it is under their discretion that replacements may be made. Generally, it's due to an "unfortunate circumstance" (My kid ran into me from around a corner and bumped it right out of my hand) and not given for carelessness (I left it on the top of my car and drove off.) However, do NOT mention that you are aware of this service.

If this does not work out and you choose to use a reputable 3rd party repair service, you can expect to pay $179 .

Since you are in the US, I would recommend using iResQ in that case:

http://www.iresq.com/ipad-repair/new-ipad-repair.html

They can make a quick, free diagnosis and repair for you.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you will try Apple first, appreciate your input. If I neef to have mors assistance will get back to you.

Nancy

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Nancy and good luck!

Please remember to rate my assistance and you can reply back at any time, even after you have rated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, thanks for your help- went in to the Apple store in Berkeley, after quite a wait I was helped by a wonderful young man and long story short did get it replaced for free. ( it was going to be 299.99$) thanks for your assistance.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! Great news, Nancy, very glad to hear it!