Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
10156100

I bought an ipad from QVC that came with an AT&T 4G sim card

I bought an ipad from QVC that came with an AT&T 4G sim card and per the sales advertisement, I could go with AT&T as provider or choose my own provider. I currently use Verizon for my cell phone service and was told by a verizon wireless sales person that I had to purchase my ipad directly from Verizon to get verizon service for ipad. I'm confused as to why a sim card cannot be changed for whichever carrier you want to use. I am misinformed by one party or the other and what can be done for 4G on ipad?

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you with your question.

Sometimes sales reps will say something just to get you to buy the product from them. But in this case the Verizon sales rep is actually correct.

AT&T an Verzion use to totally different Mobile platforms. AT&T uses GSM and Verzion is CCMD. To be simple Verizon doesn't use sim cards and AT&T does.

There are few things you can do. Return the iPad and get the Verizon edition if possible through QVC or return for refund and purchase from Verizon.

You can keep it and get a mobile data plan from AT&T. Or instead keep the the iPad and instead of getting a data for the iPad. If you have a iPhone or Android smartphone Verizon offers WiFi tethering.

You can add it to your existing Verizon mobile data plan for about $20 extra a month. Then you turn WiFi tethering on your phone. Now you can connect up to 5 devices for shared internet off your phone.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Reply back to me BEFORE selecting any negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.