David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

Macbookpro has blue apple with blue and gold striped screen

Customer Question

Macbookpro has blue apple with blue and gold striped screen when I turn it on.
Message says "power off".
When I turn it back on, same thing. Do I need a new battery?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

Can you let me know how old the Macbook Pro is approximately?

Customer : 2008 or2009
Steve Herrod :

thanks - I would try firstly to reset the PRAM on the Macbook Pro by doing these steps

Steve Herrod :
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.
Steve Herrod :

There is also a potential nvidia fault which may be relevant dependent on when the laptop was manufactured

Customer : No. I tried the steps 3 times.
Customer : Message still reads
Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer : You need to restart your computer,hold down power button for several seconds or press restart button. I can't see a restart button
Steve Herrod :

I think the restart button would be for different models so holding down the power button is the right thing to do

Customer : Yes. It's off now
Steve Herrod :

Does your macbook pro have a removable battery?

Customer : Yes
Steve Herrod :

ok, can you try this?

Steve Herrod :
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Customer : I tried that twice. Same message
Steve Herrod :

ok, I will need to opt out unfortunately for another expert to take a look

Steve Herrod :

you shoudl get a message from them when they are ready

Customer : Thank you
Steve Herrod :

no problem

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Te message you see is a Kernel Panic, and it can be caused by hardware or software.

If you have installed extra RAM, or have any peripherals connected, remove them and try the SMC reset again. SMC reset is where you remove the battery and press the power button for 5-10 seconds.

If it is the same then it can still be a software issue which you can solve by reinstalling the OS. Do you have the discs in that case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This did not work. Logic board needed replacement. I bought a new Macbook.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear this, hopefully data transfer was possible. Let me know if you still have any questions.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, all the hard drive was in tact and did transfer, even the glitches with Adobe:)!
Thanks for your help
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's great, you're welcome :)