Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

I am using snow leapord os and yahoo im as well as a few other

I am using snow leapord os and yahoo im as well as a few other connection programs such as that... I want to know what the best (and easy to use) program for tracing and finding the international IP address of who I am chatting with on Yahoo IM. I believe you understand the base question that I am trying to ask.

Click the "Finder" option and click the "Applications" menu. Click the "Yahoo! Messenger" icon to launch it. Click on the buddy whose IP address you want to begin a chat.

Click your Home folder in the Finder window and navigate to a picture or another file you do not mind sharing. Drag and drop the file into the chat window to initiate a file transfer.

Click the "Applications" folder in the Finder window. Click "Utilities" to open that folder and click "Terminal" to launch the terminal shell.

Enter "netstat -a" in the terminal shell. Scroll through the output until you see the IP address listed with the YSMG client or Yahoo! Messenger protocol client. It looks something like " client." That is the IP address of your open buddy in chat.

webpagesby22, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: I have eight years of experience working with Macs and Windows machines in corporate enviroments.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sadly this is what I tried to do previously and is why I was contacting you. Netstat-a did not seem to want to function for me when I did that. When I used just a plain netstat comand and scrolled through these functions it did display a very large amount of information... However, I was unable to retrieve what I was looking for.

I honestly am looking for an actual additional program that will do this for me in the simplest manner possible.

Thank you for your help.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The way I look at is whoever can provide me with the best assistance in this matter is truly what I am looking for. Basically, I believe that you know what I am looking for and whoever can adequately answer the question is who I am looking for. Thank you for your assistance.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

You can track the IP address information through Yahoo Messenger all you want, but you will only be given the IP address information of the Yahoo servers.

If you wish, you could setup an account on Gmail or Google and use the following site to help you:

On that site, you can create site forwarding links, send them to the person you are chatting with, and ask them to click it. Once they click it, you can look on your Goo.GL account and see where exactly they are located in the world when they click the link.

Them: Hi
You: What's up?
Them: Not much, what's up with you?
You: Not a lot, I am just watching a hilarious video.
Them: Cool
You: Wanna check it out? It reminds me of last month (or something)
Them: Sure
You: Coolio.... Here it is: <---- On, you can create a forwarding link and it will look similar to this.
Them: Haha.. that is funny

Now you go to your Goo.GL account and you will be given a map of the world with a red dot, indicating where they are in the world.

Please, do not forget to click the Happy face on the bottom of this page and click Submit, if you are satisfied.

Please, bookmark the following page if you ever want to work with me directly. Any new questions posted at the following page will be sent directly to me:

Thank you,
- Jason

Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh God.... I'm still confused... there is so much to this in all truth... I am not looking to hack or anything else like that as I already know I am no where smart or experienced enough to do that kinda thing... All I am really looking for is a downloadable addon program for my Mac so as I can get actual IP addresses from Yahoo Im and other IM services and run them through my network utility program etc. to find out the actual physical locations of people... Mainly this is for prevention and protection against Romance Fraud. That quite honestly is the only reason why I would bother...

Sincerely yours,

Jonathan Berg

There is no such program like that, that I know about.

The option that I gave you is the best choice, in my opinion.

If you wish, I can remote into your computer, and show you exactly how to do the tracking a couple times.

- Jason
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh I really wish that made addons for this type of application... At a later time I really would like you to do walk trough of this with me... However, in talking with an immigration attorney earlier today I was fully able to determine that it really was a case of Romance Fraud... Oh, well life goes on I guess.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

Please, keep me updated.

- Jason