CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

All of a sudden 2 days ago our internet & wifi stopped working.

Customer Question

All of a sudden 2 days ago our internet & wifi stopped working. I have a time capsule. If I plug the Internet cable direcy to my Mac, I can get online. But as soon as I try to reroute it through the time capsule router it flashes amber and won't work. Help my kids r dying for wifi!
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 1 year ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
amber meaning capsule have problem with connection.

try to reset your wifi:

Use something pointed (such as a ballpoint pen) to press and hold down the reset button for 5 seconds to reset network back to default.

after that setup your wifi network again by using airport utility

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259 <---- go here for instruction

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the "Reply to Expert" link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,

Customer : Ok so now I have a new wifi ready but the problem persists. It says something about no DNA servers or Internet connection
CompExpert :

try to unplug power from your internet router for 30 seconds then plugged back in again

CompExpert :

also, make sure the cable from router to time capsule is not defective

CompExpert :

so change the ethernet cable if needed

Customer : I don't really have extra cables hanging around:(
CompExpert :

try the cable that you said is working when you plugged straight into your mac

CompExpert :

what you want to find out is if the internet does go through and work on your time capsule

Customer : It saga my base station doesn't have a valid ip address
CompExpert :

there are two thing that caused your problem.

1. connect between your internet router and time capsule meaning might be the cable or the port is bad

2. the time capsule is defective

Customer : i see what u mean, but this is impossible as my Internet come from the basement and the other cable is not long enough.
CompExpert :

try to bring your time capsule down there and test it with the short cable

CompExpert :

if you see green light

CompExpert :

that mean the ethernet cable between the internet router to time capsule is defective

Customer : Ok, I'll get a new cable tmrw, and see if it works then I guess
Customer : I took it downstairs and it still blinks amber
CompExpert :

is that the same

cable that you plugged in to your mac?

Customer : Sorry I'm really confused... The cable I took downstairs was the cable that I used between the ti
Customer : Capsule and the modem
CompExpert :

what computer are you online right now?

CompExpert :

are you using the imac right now to talked to me?

CompExpert :

if yes, plugged the ethernet cable from the imac and plugged into your time capsule and see if it works

Customer : Right now I have 1 ethernet cable between the iMac and the modem and can get online that way. I am using my iPhone for this chat. I am switching the cables now to make sure they both work.
CompExpert :

okay

Customer : Ok I have confirmed that in fact... The cable is NOT the problem.
CompExpert :

and we also know that the internet modem is working too

Customer : Correct
CompExpert :

thats mean the time capsule board that connect ethernet port and wifi is defective

we already did do hard reset which removed software on the time capsule as possible caused

CompExpert :

unfortunately, I know that is the not what you looking for but time capsule does go bad occasionally

CompExpert :

the hard drive that saved data for your time machine

CompExpert :

still working

Customer : Wow, I'm surprised that just happened without anything to cause it. Is that normal? Yes the hard drive see
Customer : ms fine
CompExpert :

yes it does happen

CompExpert :

3/10

CompExpert :

but it does happen, I worked at Apple store as a certified tech

CompExpert :

and I did see some customer bring in with the same problem

CompExpert :

for wifi, you can go to any computer store and buy a wifi router or wifi access point

Customer : Ok, I guess I'll go see the apple store tmrw then :(
CompExpert :

me too :(

CompExpert :

if you have question, feel free to ask me

CompExpert :

if not, please rate my service and have a wonderful and safe week