Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience:  10 Years hands on computer training
64443469

Hi! I cant get online because I deleted by Safari (it was

Hi! I can't get online because I deleted by Safari (it was having problems) and then my Firefox started having major problems and now can no longer open without immediately crashing. I want to reinstall Safari, but I don't know how to without a working browser. Any suggestions? (I'm typing this from my PC).
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for choosing Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Here is the deal Firefox will not work properly without Safari Installed. You have two options to install Safari back on your Mac.

1. You will need to have access another computer and internet( so you if you don't have another computer you can go to a neighbors or family member). And this is what you need to do:

Go to http://www.apple.com/ > then Go to Downloads > Select safari choose mac version > Download it > Put the Downloaded File in a USB or Flash Drive copy the installation file in your MacBook then install it!

If this is not option the only other option is you need

2. Insert your installation disc and do a custom install to get just Safari.

Insert the install CD and restart while holding down the "C" key.

Go through the installer until you get to the part where there is one button left before installing.

In that same window there is another button called "Custom Install"

Choose Custom Install and choose only to Install Safari, finish going through the installation and you will have Safari back.

If this was helpful please don't forget to rate the answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that I receive credit for my time and the answer I have provided.

Thank You, Dan

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!
Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience: 10 Years hands on computer training
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I have not been able to download a version of Safari that works. I downloaded two different versions on to a flash drive and each time it had a big red "x" over the hard drive when I went to download it on my computer. Can you please send a link to the exact Safari I should download? I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 operating system. Thanks so much!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
First thing you need to do is make sure that all off the files that pertain to Safari are deleted. You can do this by going The Finder and search for Safari if there is any files you will want to drag them to the Trash.

Then CLICK HERE, this is a direct download for the right version of Safari for your OS X Version 10.5.8.

Go ahead and install this and let me know if you are still having trouble.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan-

I seemed to be able to install it without any problems, but then it couldn't restart during the installation. It's just stuck on that initial page with the apple and the spinning wheel. I turned it off and then tried again after leaving it overnight, but it's doing the same thing and not starting.

Thoughts?

Jenny

Update: I tried to reboot in Safe Mode, but now it's stuck on a blue screen that appears after the grey screen with the apple and the spinning wheel.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a macbook that has a removablable battery?

Let me know.

I need to know this to give you some steps to fix this problem.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I do.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Alright the first step is to:

Reset SMC

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
5. Release the power button.
6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that works, then you do not need to continue to the next step however if the mac is still doing the same thing the continue to this step.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values.

Do this and let me know if you are know able to boot the mac.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan-

I've done step one (Reset SMC). It stays on the grey screen (no spinning wheel) for a few minutes and then reboots, but just does the same thing again. It's done that three times now. Should I shut it down and move onto the next step?

Jenny

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes move to the next step in Resetting the PRAM.

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan-

It is still stuck on grey. I tried it twice.

Jenny

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
What version of OS X are you using?

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

10.5.8

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Do you have you OS X installation CD? Let me know. But lets try this first and see if you can get the mac to Boot, when are going to try to boot in safe mode.

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
2. Press the power button.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
5. Let the mac complelty boot up give it about 10 minutes.
6. To leave Safe Mode, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.
7. The let the computer boot up normally and let me know if it boots up.

Thank You, Dan

If this works you do not need to let me know if you have your OS X installation CD, but if this does not work please let me know if you have the Installation CD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan-

I tried it again, but as I noted above, I'd already tried to reboot in Safe Mode and now it's done the same thing it did before (i.e. it's now stuck on a blue screen).

I do have the Installation CD, but I'm a little wary of doing that since I know it might wipe out all my data. I am a little frustrated since the internet was the only thing not working before I reinstalled Safari, and now it won't even boot up. Do you know why installing Safari would have caused it to completely stop working?

Thanks for the help.

Jenny

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Usually this is caused from your Hard drive having difficulty when you did the install of Safari something might have missed a file up for the boot up part of your hard drive. You do not need to worry about using the installation CD, since you were not able to boot in Safe Mode the CD is not going to be any help to us.

What we are going to do is fsck, which is a command line utility that verify and repair the hard drive.

To perform fsck, you need to enter single user mode.

Follow these steps exactly how have posted them step by step.

1. Starting up in single-user

• 1. Shut down your Mac if it is on.
  • 2. Press the power button to start the computer.
  • 3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)

You have successfully entered single-user mode when you see white text appear on the screen.

2. At the command-line prompt type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

3. Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

4. If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

5. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.
6. Your computer should start up normally.

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan-

It's not working. I did the fsck command twice (the first time I got the "file system was modified" prompt) and the second time it came back fine. I entered the reboot command and now it seems stuck at a blue screen.

Jenny

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
1. Shut down your Mac. If necessary, hold your Mac's power button for several seconds to force it to power down.
2. Disconnect all peripheral devices such as external hard drives or printers (leave only the display, a keyboard, and mouse connected).
3. Disconnect any Ethernet cables.
4. Start up your Mac.

Does it start up? If not then continue

1. Insert your Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5 installation disc (if you have discs with both versions, use whichever is closest to the Mac OS X version installed on your Mac; do not use a startup disc which came with a different Mac or which contains an earlier version of Mac OS X).
2. Shut down your Mac. If necessary, hold your Mac's power button for several seconds to force it to power down.
3. Start up your Mac while holding the C key to start from the disc.
4. Perform an Archive and Install installation (preserving users and network settings).

CLICK HERE to see those instruction.

If that does not work then Perform an Erase and Install installation of Mac OS X as a last resort-You will lose everything.

To erase your Mac OS X volume and reinstall Mac OS X:

1. Insert your Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5 installation disc.
3. Startup your Mac while holding the C key to start from the disc.
4. Preform an Erase and Install installation of Mac OS X.
5. After installing, starting from your Mac OS X volume, and verifying the issue is resolved, you should use Software Update to update to the latest available version of Mac OS X.

After installation, if the gray screen issue persists you will have to contact Apple by calling Apple at this number 1 800 275 2273

Please don't forget to rate my answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that I receive credit for my time and the answer I have provided. If this did not work or you have any further questions, Please Reply, Don't Rate if you are not Satisfied.

Thank You, Dan

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan-

Would you mind emailing me a transcript of this conversation?

Thanks very much.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
We can not personally email the customers, however I can load this into a document and then you can access the document and save it to your computer.

CLICK HERE to access the document of this conversation. It will be in a PDF file.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan-

I'm sorry I haven't yet rated your answer. My concern is that my computer was working fine before I started following your directions and ended up being unable to boot up at all. I've taken it somewhere to be repaired. If it turns out that the problem really was with the computer and had nothing to do with your instructions, then I'll be happy to rate highly once I hear back from them.

I'm sorry for the delay, but I had a working computer when I first contacted you and now I don't, so I want to double check with someone before I give a rating.

Thanks very much.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Alright just let me know. If I turn out to be wrong then don't give me a negative rating, just let me know and I will send you for a refund.

Thank You, Dan