Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience:  10 Years hands on computer training
64443469

Keynote went from slide to slide until presentation was finished.

Customer Question

Keynote went from slide to slide until presentation was finished. I couldn't control it with my phone or on the computer itself. I could stop and exit the presentation but that was all. I turned my phone off and couldn't control it with the computer. I gave up, finished the presentation and everything worked fine 45 minutes later without doing anything.
Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for choosing Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

What is the issue that you are having and how can I help you?

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My issue is why did my keynote run through the presentation on its own.

Then later it worked fine?

How do I keep this from happening again?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Which version of Keynote do you have?

Keynote Perspective,
Keynote DeviceAnywhere
Keynote SIGOS

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I bought it 3months ago from the online apple store. I am at home now so the computer where this happened is not here. I'll have to let you know tomorrow if you need to know for sure, but it was the latest version a few months ago.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
What you need to do is get into Presenter’s Display.

To enable the presenter display:

1 Choose Keynote > Preferences, and then click Presenter Display.

2 Select “Use alternate display to view presenter information.”
In the Preferences window, you can also select the items that you want to appear
in the presenter display. But you can also select different options and make further
adjustments when you customize the presenter display.

3 Click Slideshow at the top of the Preferences window.

4 Select one of the following options at the bottom of the Preferences window: Present on primary display: Shows the slideshow on the same display as the menu bar. Present on secondary display: Shows the slideshow on the display without the
menu bar.

5 To specify which items you want to have available in the Presenter Display, select them. For a description of each option, see below

To customize the presenter display:

1 Access the presenter display preview by doing any of the following:

Click the Customize Presenter Display button at the bottom of Presenter
Display preferences. Choose Play > Customize Presenter Display.

2 In the Customize Presenter Display window, select the options you want to see in the
presenter display.

Current Slide: Shows a preview of the slide that currently appears on the display that
the audience is watching. This can be useful if, for example, the slideshow is playing on a screen behind you.
Build Markers: Appear as blue dots below the current slide preview, indicating how
many builds are on the current slide.
Next Slide: Shows a preview of the next slide.
Ready to Advance Indicator: Appears as a green or red bar across the top of the
Presenter Display, indicating when the current build is finished playing through and
the slide is awaiting a click from you to continue. Red means the slide is not yet ready
to be advanced; green means the slide is ready to be advanced.
.
Clock: Shows the current time according to your computer’s clock.
Timer: Lets you know how much time your presentation is taking, beginning from the
moment you advance to the next slide (not when you press Play). Select an option to
specify how you want to be timed:

Time Remaining: Indicates how much time is left for your presentation. Enter the
maximum time for your presentation in the adjacent field.
Elapsed Time: Indicates how much time has passed since you started to play
your slideshow.

3 Drag the items on the screen to position them in the way you prefer.
4 To resize an item on the screen, drag its lower-right corner.
5 Click Done.

This is the only way that you are going to be able to control Keynote, other wise it will be on Self Play.

Please don't forget to rate my answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that I receive credit for my time and the answer I have provided. If this did not work or you have any further questions, Please Reply, Don't Rate if you are not Satisfied.

Thank You, Dan

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Presenter’s Display during a presentation, you can see which keys control the slideshow by pressing the Help, Question Mark (?), or Forward Slash (/) key.

To see a complete list of all Keynote keyboard shortcuts, choose Help > Keyboard Shortcuts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My settings in preferences were already ok.

I have ran this before with no problems but like I said, Sunday Keynote ran slides on its own.

I tried several times to make it work to no avail.

I went through the presentation without using Keynote.

When the service was over I tried again without doing anything differently, or changing any settings, or even restarting anything, and it worked like it was supposed to.

Everything has worked fine since, why did it freak out on Sunday?

It did this on the 8:30 presentation and then worked one time between services when I tested it then did the same thing at the 10:30 service.

Any thoughts?

The keynote version is Keynote'09 version 5.1.1 (1034)

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
This is some erroneous code on a hidden (unaccessible) layer within the file, clearly a bug.

Which means that it will happen to some presentations but it won't normally happen. If it does you can manually add transitions after each slide within Keynote on the iPhone this will stop the auto-play. Then you will be able to control your presentation again.

Thank You, Dan

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I had to leave for a while.

Adding transitions within Keynote by my iphone? This sounds good but I how would I do this.

The slides went from one to another in about a second, the only time between slide was what I had programed in on the transitions.

And the bug lets the presentation work sometimes but not others?

I was wondering if another apple device (iPad or iPhone) was somehow causing it freak out. It's funny that It all works when most of the people are gone.

But the botXXXXX XXXXXne is I need this to be more reliable. If it is a bug or flaw in a code in the Keynote program do I need to dump it and get another?

I use my notebook to create the programs and then transfer it to the MacMini for the presentation.

Thanks for your patience,

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Here is the deal it happens when the presentation is transfer from one device to another. It usually will not happen but like I said it is an unaccessible layer in the file. I am sure that keynote will come out with an update to fix that issue.

When you the Presentation open all you need to do is Tap the "+" sign to add a transition to it.

Thank You, Dan

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, so I do have to do it from the computer.

The remote app on my phone doesn't have the ability.

Thanks this does give me an option if it happens again.

Before I lose you when I do the rating, do you think it would cure the problem to upgrade to Keynote 5.2 on my MacBook?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes upgrading your Keynote will defiantly fix the bug problem that you have experienced.

You can access the add transitions from your phone, you will do it from the Tools Menu
See image below I have highlighted the four icons at the top, Tools is the Wrench Icon.

graphic

Let me know if you have any more questions. By the way you can still reply to me even after you rate the answer.

Thank You, Dan
Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience: 10 Years hands on computer training
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just have Keynote Remote on my phone.

It doesn't have a tools function, it looks nothing like your picture.

I didn't know you can control a Keynote presentation from a keynote app.

Thanks for the help. and patience.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Here is a video that you can watch it will show you how to add transitions using Keynote Remote.

CLICK HERE to view video

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank You, Dan