Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

I am no longer able to connect to Gmail using my iPhone. When

I am no longer able to connect to Gmail using my iPhone. When I try to open Gmail using either Safari or the Gmail app, the app/browser just closes without warning. I do not get any message that could tell me what the problem is. Do you know what could be causing this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

I am going to explain a little bit how this support system works:

I will send you an answer, but it is not necessarily the final answer as sometimes issues need more than one approach in order to solve them.

So, if the answer solves the issue, please rate me with "OK", "Great" or "Excellent" Service.

However, if the answer DOES NOT solve the issue, then please DO NOT feedback me yet, just click "REPLY TO EXPERT".

Do you understand the system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I understand the system.

Thank you, Grete.

Please reset the iPhone. To reset it, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for 10 or more seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

If you get the message "slide to power off" ignore it. Just wait until the Apple logo appears.

Please watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNlOd4QYVzo

Does it work? Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Almost Done! RATING REQUIRED. Rate the advice you've received today (at least 3 or higher) so that I receive credit for helping you/answering your question. Need more help? Reply below with more questions!

Please ONLY select "Good or Excellent Service" below (and then click Submit) so I can get a positive feedback in justanswer.com. If you are not ready to do so, do NOT leave me any feedback, just click "REPLY TO EXPERT"

Thank you

John C.

********** REMEMBER: IF IT DOES NOT WORK, DO NOT LEAVE RATING, JUST CLICK "REPLY TO EXPERT" SO WE CAN CONTINUE WORKING ON IT. THANK YOU **********
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have now reset the phone, but I still experience the same problem.

OK. Is your phone original? Or hacked/jailbroken?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is original. I'm not sure what you mean by hacked/jailbroken, but it is definitely original, and not manipulated in any way.

After the reset, do you get the same issue from the Mail app and from the Safari app?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, still same issue on both.

OK, if you check your Gmail account from your computer, does it work fine?

Also, are you checking it using the Mail app? Or the Gmail app? (from your iPhone)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it works fine on all other devices.

Gmail app. And Safari. Same problem with both.

OK, but do not use the Gmail app, try using the default Mail app. Does it work?

Also, is the iPhone updated to the latest OS version?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ha, I didn't think to try the Mail app. It works! How do I know if I have the latest OS version? Probably I don't. How do I update it?

That's great! Please go to Settings, then General, then About, then let me know what you see next to "Version".

Also, which iPhone model do you have? iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version: 4.1 (8B117)

I have an iPhone 4.

OK. In order to update it to the newest version (5.1.1) you will need to connect it to your computer, open iTunes and update it from there.

HOWEVER, you should do a backup before. If you do not backup it, you may lose your information.

If you are happy now using the Mail application, you can leave it like it is now.

Thank you

John C.

Experience: I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs