Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My MacPro has 2 2TB SAS disks. One of them is full and the

My MacPro has 2 2TB SAS disks. One of them is full and the other is completely empty. How to I access the other. How can I confirm they are set up as RAID?
What model are these drives and how are they connected?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both drives are internal- Macintosh HD

So you have an SAS card in the MacPro?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I go to "about this mac" it lists

2 TB SAS disk

2 TB SAS disk

Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Possibly they were supposed to be configured as RAID when I purchsed the computer but they never were???

Open Disk Utility what is listed there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On left side:

2 Tb APPLE RAID Card Media

Macintosh HD

2 TB APPLE RAID Card Media

Macintosh HD

So they show up as seperate drives on the desktop?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, not on desktop - only in utility.

Choose Raid tab and drag each disk to the Raid window choose the type of Raid you want to use and then click Create.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. If not please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So - is your understanding that right now it is not set up as RAID?

Can you send a screenshot of the Disk Utility window?

To take a screenshot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. To take a selective screenshot hold Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 4, you will see a crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

username: pearl
password: macmedic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thatn is not the Disk Utility
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is that helpful to you?

Yes those are two seperate drive not a raid. at the upper left of the screen go to Finder/Preferences/General and there check what items you want to appear on the desktop. You should see them now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok...awesome! That is helpful. Now, how do I configure items to save to that drive? Do I have to drag items there to free up space? For example- I want my program Adobe Lightroom to use the second HD.

I would not move apps only files.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What files can I safely move? I would love to move all of my images but nervous to start moving files around. (As a pro business depends on these images!)

After you Verify Disk on both of those drives you can safely move your iPhoto Library. I would use the other drive as a Time Machine backup. Once you move the iPhoto Library double click on it to make it the default library. Before you trash the old library do this:

Quit iPhoto, hold down the Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. Check all the boxes and run Rebuild.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I actually don't use iphoto - use all adobe products.

Ok what program are you using for your photo cataloguing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Adobe Bridge

Adobe Bridge is completely different than iPhoto, Lightroom and Aperture. Bridge just browses your folders on your hard drive and handles RAW. If you're big in using Photoshop than Bridge is great. iPhoto, Lightroom and Aperture is like a whole separate program. Bridge is just so you can browse your folders to open photos in Photoshop.

iPhoto saves that enhanced photo as a new file, doubling the space used by that photo. If you use photoshop to enhance pictures from Bridge, you loose the original photo which iPhoto keeps (non-destructive). I would go with Lightroom or Aperture. Both are "better" than Bridge or iPhoto, in my opinion...
If you want to stay with what you have you can move your music instead.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok ...let's move music- it's on 400MB...but why not?

Yes...I actually do use Lightroom as well.

OK the Lightroom cat5aloguer is what you would move. 400 MB isn’t much to worry about. See here:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

great...I'll try that. Thank you!

And I'll set my second HD as my backup. Thanks for your help!

Make sure you Verify both first. Good luck.