Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

i moved iphoto to my iomega now cant access

Customer Question

i have an Iomega, I moved my iphoto file to the iomega and not i cant access it.  If i try through iphoto i get an error "The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions."  I also tried copying it back to my desktop, its starts to copy and about 170mb into  the copy it stops and i get the following error "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iphoto still not working from the iomega

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so now Verify Disk on the Iomega.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The iomega is not an option in Disk Utilities, it appears in Finder under shared

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So it is not plugged directly into the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its wireless, connected to the wireless router

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What model router? Is the Iomega formatted for Mac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the router is Linksys E2000. I assume it is formatted, I have access to it. I can see and access folders without issue and at some point the iphoto library was working fine

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
It has to be formatted for Mac to use it to store your iPhoto library. Do you have this?

http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/utility/CiscoConnect.E2000.1.3.11006.1.dmg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i do not have it...should i down load it? The iphoto library was working at one point from the iomega.....if i format will I loose the info on the iomega?

Is there a way to check on the iomega if its formatted for Mac?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Using the Utility I assume. Go here and read this:

The Harder Way: Non-Apple NAS Devices
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i checked the activity log on the iomega and it seems the issue started when the "Your Home Media Network Hard Drive was shut down improperly, which can cause your most recent changes to be lost." Prior to that all was working fine.

I guess my next question would be if i cant get the library file to operate from the iomega and i cant copy it to the Mac and get it to work, how can I get my pictures off the Iomega...are they stored somewhere other than the iphoto library file? If i can get the photos off the iomega i can just create a new library.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

All photos are stored in the file iPhoto Library so you should be able to copy it back to your Mac but you should rename it or move your old one so you don't replace it. Then unplug the drive for a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but as i mentioned in my original question "I also tried copying it back to my desktop, its starts to copy and about 170mb into the copy it stops and i get the following error "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then unplug the drive for a few minutes and try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i actually have to step away now, ill try to unplug and copy the library again when i return and let you know. Thanks for your help thus far...i hope we can resolve the issue since i have a lot of pictures on that library

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok