Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hello my Mac Pro 2.8 2 x Quad core wont start, it gets

Customer Question

Hello

my Mac Pro 2.8 2 x Quad core won't start, it gets to the apple logo with the rotating circle below and just doesn't get any further, is there anything I can do?

regards Brad
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 2 years ago.
Hello Brad,

Let's first try to start the mac in safe mode.

Let's shut down the computer first (if it does not go off, hold down the start button for 10-15 sec and the mac will shut down).

Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.

If it starts up in safe mode, click on the apple logo at the top left corner of the computer and click on "restart". and do a normal bootup.

Let's see whether this resolves your issue.

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Vinod

I've tried starting and holding down the shift key but the problem remains the same

regards Brad

Let's reset the PRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Let's see whether this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Vinod

I've tried that but again I get no further

regards Brad

Shut down your mac.

Now disconnect all the peripheral devices connected to your mac other than the keyboard, mouse and display (such as printer, scanner etc).

Disconnect any ethernet cables.

Now try to turn it on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again

I had already disconnected everything but have tried starting again anyway and have got no further

regards Brad

,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again

regards Brad

,Hello Vinod

regards Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,

Hello again

regards Brad

,Hello Vinod

regards Brad
Let's try running the disk utility.

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time.

now type the following command

"/sbin/fsck -fy" (without quotes. note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type "reboot" (without quotes) and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.

Let's see whether this works
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry Vinod

I've held down the command and S key my, mac starts then the screen goes black and a lot code appears I've then tried both sets of code suggested hit return then waited, after a couple of seconds a few lines appear I've then waited until nothing else seems to be happening typed reboot but all that happens is the cursor returns to the line below

regards Brad

when you typed reboot, did not it restart the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no the cursor just returned to the line below

how long after typing the codes and hitting return should I wait before typing reboot

it will run the disk utility and tell that there are no errors (if no errors are present). Then you can type reboot.

Unfortunately, I have run out of ideas. I will opt out here so that another expert might be able to help you resolve this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help but can I ask just a couple more questions, should I try typing the codes in before or after the appearance of the white text and how do I talk to another expert?

I will rate you highly

regards Brad

after the white text.

Please don't rate me. I have opted out and opened the question to other experts. If anyone else know how to solve this, they will reply to you. You will also get an email when an expert replies.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Ashik

I'm running Mountain Lion

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can reinstall your Mac OS X ML. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the system files with new one. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Recovery Screen. From there, Reinstall your OS X Mountain Lion.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I purchased the Mac with Mountain Lion installed and I don't have a disc, can I buy it and download it then burn it to a disc will this work?

regards Brad

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You don't need the discs to reinstall OS X. You can directly download it from Apple's server and install it for free. Boot into Recovery screen and reinstall OS X from there. Let me know how it goes..
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
An alternate way to boot into Mountain Lion Recovery screen is, restart your Mac and immediately hold down Option key on your Keyboard. This will bring the Startup Manager. From there, select Recovery HD and press return.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry I've tried both ways and I still get no further than the apple logo and the spinning circle.

When I bought the Mac Bootcamp was installed and when I try the second method you sent I do get to see the choice of start up disc, I then selected the Mac disc and continued to hold down the option key is this correct?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No. What options can you see in the Startup Screen ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can't you see the Recovery HD in the Startup manager screen ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as I said before after holding down the option key I get a choice of Mac or Windows and if I choose the Mac then hold down the command r keys or option key I still get no further than the logo and spinning disc I can't get to the recovery screen or see anything to do with recovery HD

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Don't hold down Command + R keys after selecting the Mac HD. Hold down those keys immediately after you turn on your Mac. Any Luck ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried starting with the command and r keys held down but I don't get any further than the Apple logo and spinning circle I only get a bit further when I try the option key method which brings up the choice between Mac or Windows. I am using 2 screens at the same time could this have anything to do with the problem?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No. Do you have access to another Mac ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I'm on that at the moment it's a Mac Pro G5 not intel

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
That won't work. I'm getting out of ideas. Your Mac is supposed to boot into Recovery screen when you hold down Command + R keys. Connect the ethernet cable from your router to your Mac Pro, then hold down Command + R keys while starting up. This should boot into Mac Internet Recovery. Let me know if that didn't work.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
If you have access to another Mac with Mountain Lion, then I've one more suggestion for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have another Mac with Mountain Lion

sorry to ask again but did you mean command and R keys or command key +key and R key

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Just Command and R keys. Hold down those keys simultaneosly and your Mac will boot into Internet Mountain Lion Recovery. Make sure your Mac is connected to internet via ethernet cable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried command R when connected to the internet and the Mac doesn't connect to Internet Mountain Recovery just the logo and circle again

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Restart your Mac. Boot into Startup Manager. Select Macintosh HD. Press Return and immediately hold down Command and R keys while connected to internet via ethernet.

If that didn't work, then I will send this question to other experts on here as I'm stumped on this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried that but still got no further but on the first try I accidentally booted Windows which started properly and I was able to view my Mac hard drive and it's content does this help? if not should I rate you or wait for another expert.

Either way you have been very helpful

regards Brad

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Nope, that won't help.

Is there anyway you can get access to a Mac with Mountain Lion ? If so, we could easily create a Recovery HD disk from that Mac, then put it on your Mac and then repair/reinstall OS X on your Mac. I've one more suggestion you can try now.

• Reboot your Mac
  • Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

Let me know if you are getting any errors when entering those commands.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry this is taking a while but just to be clear

I held down the command and S key when starting, the screen goes black and some faint wording appears, then brighter text starts to scroll down the screen (it looks like code) it then stops for a few seconds then the line disc0s2: I/0 error. appears with 2 lines of code underneath then the same disc0s2: I/0 error. appears with 2 lines of code underneath it, I waited a while and when nothing else happened I then typed in the commands as you have typed them.

I typed them with the space between mount and -uw and a space between -uw and / and a space between rm and /var and a space between shutdown and -h on 3 lines as in your reply is this correct?

if it is correct nothing happens if I do nothing and nothing happens if I hit the return key

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
First, disc0s2: I/0 error is bad. That indicates a Input Output error i.e your Mac can't read or write files to your hard disk. I'm afraid the Mac HD parition is corrupted and hopefully your hard drive isn't failing.

See the codes in detail below;

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press return>
rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press return>
shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press return>

If that didn't work, then you have two choices. Either you can buy third party disk utility application like Disk Warrior and then repair your hard disk with it. Disk Warrior is powerful enough to fix the corrupted partition. Disk Warrior is costly, but its worth it.

Or you have to take it to the Apple Store. We've already tried everything so far, and we can't move further without the Recovery HD disk.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help Ashik, although my mac hasn't started you have pointed me in the right direction, I think I'll try Disc Warrior first.

How can I ensure that you are paid, is it by pressing the smily face 3 times?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can rate me 3 Stars or more and then hit Submit or Accept, i think.

1 or 2 Stars are Negative. Try Disk Warrior and hopefully it will work.

Disk warrior won't work if it is hardware related, but Disk Warrior will atleast help you to recover your files. If Disk Warrior didn't work, I'd recommend to take it to the Apple Store ASAP.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc