CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified

My iphoto wont open. the icon bounces up and down like it usually

My iphoto wont open. the icon bounces up and down like it usually does and the task bar opens but i cant get the window to open. if i hold down the mouse over the icon the window pops up but if i try to click on it it goes away
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 1 year ago.

CompExpert :

hi,

try to rebuild your iphoto library.

Rebuild iPhoto Library

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.

2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.

3. Open iPhoto.

4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.

5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes

6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

CompExpert :

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the "Reply to Expert" link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,

CompExpert :

if you have bootcamp or dual boot on your system let me know. thank you

CompExpert :

anyhow, if you have bootcamp on your computer please add bootcamp partition into your privacy setting because sometime bootcamp can caused iphoto not to boot.

here is how:
System Preferences=>Spotlight=>Privacy=>click on the plus button and add the BOOTCAMP partition.

if those two solution doesnt work, you will have to removed iphoto plist file.

Delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your User/Library/Preferences folder

after find and removed com.apple.iphoto.plist

reboot your computer and open iphoto again.

Customer: I don't have boot camp.
Customer: I tried the first thing but it didn't work. I held the buttons down but never got anything to prompt me to rebuild.
Customer:

where do i find my preferences folder?

Customer:

i went to system preferences but couldnt find the file

CompExpert :

if you have osx Lion 10.7 or mountain Lion 10.8, then open finder, on the upper menu, hold down option key then click "Go" menu --->> library --->>> preferences folder. com.apple.iphoto.plist file should be in preferences folder.

trash com.apple.iphoto.plist and try to open iphoto again

if you have osx leopard 10.5 or snow leopard 10.6

open finder, click on home folder --->>> library -->> preferences, find file com.apple.iphoto.plist in there and trash it

let me know if you still having problem finding it. thank you

Customer:

When i push command option and then open iphoto no options ever open. The iphoto screen comes up but it never asks me to rebuild my library

CompExpert :

you hold down both command and option key still holding it down

CompExpert :

use the mouse to open iphoto

Customer:

Thats what i have been doing and it doesnt give me that option. Do I hold down the mouse over iphoto? I will try again

CompExpert :

no just hold down option(alt) and command keys down on your keyboard and open your iphoto with your mouse

CompExpert :

keep holding option and command keys until you see a the rebuild menu

CompExpert :

the window called "

photo library first aid"

Customer:

how long does it take? I have held it down for a long time with no options that pop up

CompExpert :

Full Size Image

CompExpert :

first, does your iphoto able to open again?

Customer:

ok i got it to open. thank you. I tick all the boxes?

CompExpert :

just click the repair database for now

CompExpert :

and see if you able to get back to normal

CompExpert :

if repair doesnt work, go back again and do a rebuild database

Customer:

do you" mean rebuild the iphoto library database from automatic back up?"

CompExpert :

for right now just repair database

Customer:

i dont see that option

I have

rebuild the photos small thumbnails

rebuild all the photos thumnails

recover orphaned photos

examine and repair iphoto library file permissions

rebuild the iphoto database from automatic back up

reclaim unused disc space from database

which one?

CompExpert :

sorry, i got the latest version so it might be a little different

pick number 1, 2,3,4

leave rebuild the iphoto database from backup and reclaim unused dis space

Customer:

ok

Customer:

its examining my library

CompExpert :

okay

Customer:

it says it will take about 17 minutes

CompExpert :

depends on how big your iphoto library

CompExpert :

17 minutes should be fine

Customer:

i will let you know when it is done

CompExpert :

thank you

Customer:

its rebuilding thumbnail caches

CompExpert :

okay

Customer:

its working again. YAY! thanks so much

CompExpert :

:) you're welcome

please rate my service and have a great night

Customer:

you too!

CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience: Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified