David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Problem is it keeps locking up....constantly. Just freezes

Problem is it keeps locking up....constantly. Just freezes the programs running. What can we do to fix this? Acts like a regular pc with windows!
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

First empty the Trash. Then open a Finder window using the Finder icon on the Dock, and locate Macintosh HD and select it. At the bottom it says how much space is available. Please get back to me with that.

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

David,

When I click finder Favorites is at the upper left, then Shared; but no Devices are listed, such as Mac HD, or Places. It doesn't give me the option for Mac HD.

I'm looking at another Mac to see what should be there. How else might I find the info you want or get those things to show up in Finder?

Tim

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Do you have Macintosh HD on the Desktop, if so double click there, and get the space available.

If not scroll down in the sidebar below Favorites to Computer or Macintosh HD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It shows 199.87 of 249 available.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

First click the Apple menu, and Software Update, install anything it finds.

When it is done open Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities/ and select Macintosh HD. Then click the Repair Permissions button.

Please get back to me if this doesn't work.

Kind regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
I need to sign off for a few hours sleep, but all be back on in the morning. Thanks for your patience!
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Back online for the day again, did my answer help?

Kindest regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Didn't help. Disk utility said "SUID File has been modified and will not be repaired." Still getting the colored wheel when trying to do anything.

Now what?

Tim

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your patience, next try Safe Boot. Disconnect all peripherals. Shut down, and hold the shift key when starting up.

If this fails to make a difference, go back to Disk Utility and click Verify Disk.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK....did safe boot w/ no improvement. Verified Disk; said the volume Mac HD appears to be OK.

This process took a half hour. It takes 5-10 min. between clicks to respond. Next idea?

Is it time to go to the Mac store for help?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

No not yet, there are lots of things we can still try. Have you checked for software updates?

Click the Apple menu, Software Update, and install everything it finds.

If the same, create a test user in System Preferences, log into it and test. If the same will need to reinstall just the OS.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Logged out and then did a test user. It seems to work fine in test. Still in test mode now.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

That means you don't have to reinstall, which is good.

Login to the problem account again. Check System Preferences - Users & Groups - Login Items tab, and delete any login items and restart.

Let me know if it fixes it, please get back to me if not for the next step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did that. No luck...still unresponsive.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Next click Finder. Click the Go menu, and click Go To Folder.

Type: ~/Library/ and click Go.

Locate, and empty the contents of the Caches folder to the Trash.

Restart, and let me know if this does it.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did that. No change. Still taking 5-8 min. to respond to every click.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

We're getting there, thanks for your patience.

Next use the Go menu again to go to ~/Library/

Open the Preferences folder?

Move the following to the Trash:
com.apple.finder.plist
com.apple.loginwindow.plist
com.apple.desktop.plist
com.apple.dock.plist

Restart, and you will notice some of your preferences have been reset. These are easily changed back in System Preferences, but the point is to try resolve the issue.

Let me know,
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am restarted. Next?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Did some of your preferences reset? Is the issue any better?

Do you have a large number of files on the Desktop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pref's did reset. It seems to be working now. Not too many things on the desktop...10-12 files/folders. Will work with it for awhile and see how it goes. I'll get back to you. Thanks for your help so far....what a process!

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

I know! Sometimes this type of troubleshooting can go on much longer, isolating the issue more and more.

I think it was one of those pref files that was the issue. By the way you can delete the Test user in System Preferences.

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified